User

Default Re: 9mm vs 10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Doesn’t Aziza also shoot a Delta Elite?
    Yes, but she is a tad odd in other ways too

User

For a first handgun, get a 9mm.

When you have mastered the 9mm, only then should you progress to the 10mm. It's just much easier and cheaper to learn handgun skills with a 9mm. And you need those skills when shooting a 10mm.

And no, the 2 are not really comparable. They are in totally different classes.

The 10mm has some sporting applications, but it is mostly used in the hunting field where it is the pistol equivalent of a .357 (or .41) Magnum revolver, but with much more capacity.

User

Possible. I have witnessed her shooting a pink G20.

User

The best guy to have in your detail is the guy with his 10mm. He will sweep the whole range 20 times to find the one last missing 10mm case. You always get all your brass and some extras from him. A couple of nationals back he told me he had to buy a couple of hunderd factory rounds to get new cases. With a 9mm, if you loose 1 or 10% of your cases it's not a problem. I think a 10mm is like a friend of mine's 500S&W revolver, fun to shoot with but the fun wears off very fast.

User

Nope. Checked. It is on her bucket list.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    If you want to learn to flinch, get it!

Jokes aside, unless you are getting it as a want-to-have or for a particular use like a handgun for hunting or pin shooting, I would advise you not to get it.

We gain so much more from shooting practical guns more often, than we do from having these unicorn guns in the safe.

I haven’t shot an IPSC handgun match for many months. We have mainly been busy with PCC, Rifle and Shotgun Nationals. So last week, the day before our home club handgun league, I took my IPSC Standard Major gun(.40S&W) to the range quickly to fire off a few shots before the match on Saturday. Turns out, (…and I knew this from before) that a .40 S&W is much harder to shoot well than a 9mmP. I went home and switched to my Production gun(9mmP) and happy days, I could reasonably hit what I was aiming for at the match.

Stick to 9mmP. Rather get a Glock 17. If you already have one, get another one. Shoot it as much and as often as you can.

Regards,
    Wesley
    I have seen one or two other posts in simmilar vein about a 9mm being so much superior to a 10mm (or a 10mm being so much worse than a 9mm?). Perhaps if the gun was only ever going to be used for competition and looking good on the score sheet...maybe.

But for any real world application if one is going to go to the trouble of mastering it and making the effort to always carry (and make some lifestyle / clothing choices to keep it discreet) then I fail to see how a 9 beats a 10.

I know of two people who were (at the time) One-gun owners. (I took down the statement of one of them after the shooting). Both carried (Always) G20's with full power ammo, both were not sport shooters or re-loaders at the time. Both visited the range only occasionally to train with their guns. The one had to use his gun to defend against two armed robbers inside his home. The other defended himself against 3 criminals trying to hi-jack his car. (This is the one I took down the statement from) he was outnumbered 3 to one while sitting in his car at a red light. He fired 4 shots and decked two of them and the third suspect made a retreat. I dont see how a 9mm would have served him or the other guy better.

Im going to second KK on this. Buy the friggin gun. You can always get a second smaller gun later.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Back in the day, the 10mm frat was tight and I know of the incident you mention.

(excluding the comments on the 10mm made on this thread and the members)

I have come across comments by people that make statements on the matter you raised and they have never handled the G20 or even shot one. Many have had a few shots with reloads that were of inflamed prostrate factor.

I would rather not go into the details in public but I have personal experience with 9 and the 10. I was badly injured using a 9 and i stopped dead in the tracks an attack by 3 with the 10.

I don't want to engage some Johnny on a Keyboard or comment on "what you think is a hot chic on IG" to try and defend the 10.

Ask the average guy how big is a G20 is or will a G29 fit in a G19 holster and see what you get. The G20 with a plus 2 18 rounds of a hard and reliable package. My G20 will load empty cases from a mag!

Leave aside the licensing issues and the ammo availability or cost of ammo. If I had to choose, I will go 10 in the hand and the enemy under 6.

I own a G20 that has seen way over 20K rounds without issues. I can carry a G29 with 10 + 1 in the Namaste position in public and no one will know I have a gun in my hand.

My daughter used to shoot a IDPA type target with my carry rounds out to 10m ( accurately enough to count) when she was about 8 years old.

I will leave my kids a 1911 in 45 and a G20 when I die.

If anyone into guns at all does not own a G20 then he has not arrived yet.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    I have seen one or two other posts in simmilar vein about a 9mm being so much superior to a 10mm (or a 10mm being so much worse than a 9mm?). Perhaps if the gun was only ever going to be used for competition and looking good on the score sheet...maybe.

But for any real world application if one is going to go to the trouble of mastering it and making the effort to always carry (and make some lifestyle / clothing choices to keep it discreet) then I fail to see how a 9 beats a 10.

I know of two people who were (at the time) One-gun owners. (I took down the statement of one of them after the shooting). Both carried (Always) G20's with full power ammo, both were not sport shooters or re-loaders at the time. Both visited the range only occasionally to train with their guns. The one had to use his gun to defend against two armed robbers inside his home. The other defended himself against 3 criminals trying to hi-jack his car. (This is the one I took down the statement from) he was outnumbered 3 to one while sitting in his car at a red light. He fired 4 shots and decked two of them and the third suspect made a retreat. I dont see how a 9mm would have served him or the other guy better.

Im going to second KK on this. Buy the friggin gun. You can always get a second smaller gun later.

Well look, it is quite simple. Let me try and explain.

1. We know, that a smaller gun(say anything between a G43 and G19 with 6-15 rounds), has a much better chance of being strapped on on a regular basis, than say a big, heavy and cumbersome gun that is uncomfortable to carry. I know a whole lot more than two people who have downsized their carry gun for this reason. Look how popular the G26, 43, 43x, 48 range of pistols has become over the last few years.

2. We know, that a gun that is expensive to run, with components that are hard to find will be practiced with far less often than say something that is universally available at a much lower relative cost. I can’t help but wonder how many people down in KZN during the riots had hoped that they had rather had a 10mm instead of a 9mmP once ammo ran out.

3. We know, that one of the most important factors of successfully participating in a gun fight, is that if you have to shoot, you should make effective hits on target. I don’t think we would disagree that a 9mmP is easier to run than a 10mm… Unless of course if you believe that simply firing a warning shot, or even better, racking a shotgun is enough to make them run. (If you do find yourself in this exceptional group, I’ll concede and have no further desire to participate this discussion.)

4. I don’t know this, but I am quite certain, almost fully certain, that the US Military and US LEO’s and all other similar agencies around the world would make the correct choice about which caliber would be the better option when you have to defend against people with ill intent towards your people. So, really, we don’t have to think about this too much. We can just follow their example. Don’t you think? Or have they got it all wrong?

Regards,
    Wesley

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post

If anyone into guns at all does not own a G20 then he has not arrived yet.
    Sho, that’s quite elite!

Well done!

User

At risk of getting repetitive, I must admit that all points of view seem to have some merit.

Is the 10mm with proper JHP ammo more effective on target than 9mm? Definitely yes.

Is the 10mm a good defensive handgun? Indeed it is.

Is the 10mm a good choice as a first handgun? No, it is not.

Your first handgun is first of all a training tool. You need to use it to learn shooting, carrying, reloading etc, etc. This requires quite a bit of ammo, and that ammo should be available any gun shop. So you reload? Yes, and as a beginner you tend to make a few mistakes along the way. All of that adds up on the cost side. The end result can only be that you will shoot a scarce caliber (read 10mm Auto) less than you might have shot a 9mm. And that detracts from the effectiveness of the 10mm. It is only the hits on your target that count...

Before acquiring my first handgun, I attended a basic defensive marksmanship course and studied all material that I could lay my hands on. At the time "Handguns for Self Defence" https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrJ...BzVry9m9v3s_4- by Gerry Gore was about the best manual available. So, when the time came to buy, I had basically 3 choices:
    1. CZ75 in 9mm (Pre-B in sandblasted blue finish).
    2. Beretta 92 in 9mm (With the frame-mounted safety and mag release at the bottom of the left grip panel).
    3. Sig Sauer P220 in 45 Auto with 8-shot mag and mag release at the heel of the butt.
    The prices were very similar, with the Sig actually going for R50 less than the other 2.
    I still sometimes wish I had taken the Sig, but keeping the bigger picture in mind, I did well by choosing the CZ. The much more manageable recoil of the 9mm and the lower cost of ammo and components allowed me to learn much faster and pick up fewer bad habits along the way. The CZ 9mm was also much more versatile and allowed it to be used in many more sporting disciplines, also helping me to learn faster.
    A 10mm would have been even worse for me in those years, had it been available.

Now that I have acquired some skills and won some medals at various nationals, I feel that I can handle the 10mm much better. Even so, my primary choice for EDC is a G19. I have a proper concealed carry holster for my G20 and I have some decent JHP ammo for it, but the bulk of the pistol makes it harder to conceal, and concealment is very important in my work place and in public. As a matter of fact, I would gladly change to a G48 (with Shield mags) if (when?) I can. The flatter profile of the pistol makes concealment much easier. It is about half as wide as my G20.

The first rule of a gunfight is "Have a gun". This implies that the gun should be with you at all times. A concealable gun is required. The 10mm is much more difficult to conceal and thus have with you. So the extra "oomph" delivered by a 10mm will not help much if it sits snugly in the safe...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast