Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default My Story 10 years ago

I do no want to interfere with Camouflage762 post

The events

10 Years ago I was hijacked when coming home from collecting my son from swimming training.
    It was a Friday night and my wife and daughter were away for the the weekend.

I was away for about an hour because I watched the last part of the training. it was about 8pm. At the time our garage opened directly. I drove into the garage and and started closing the garage door. My son and I were exiting the car when 2 black guys rushed in. One got to my son and made him lie down on the opposite side of the car. The guy on my side had a silver taurus pistol pointing at me. I was unarmed and like Camouflage762 I was trapped in the V of the car door.

He made me lay down and remove my watch and wedding ring. Because it was such a short trip I had not taken my phone or wallet with me. He then started asking me who was home. I knew that this was heading to a home invasion where the situation could get much worse. I told that my wife and friends were in the house. He then made me get up and lead him into the house. All the time the 2nd perp was threatening to kill my son if I didn't comply. I could hear that he was getting more and more tense.

I walked into the kitchen via the door adjoining the garage. I was hesitant and the perp then started poking me in the back with a knife. At one point I could fell that it was a significant stab. The guy in the garage was shouting and threatening. I could not make out what he was saying. At that point the 2 daschund dogs ran into the kitchen and started barking. The perp in the garage then shout that they must go. They took the car and sped off. I pushed the panic button an ran to check on my son.

He was coming into the kitchen and started screaming when he saw me. At this stage I looked around and everything was covered in blood. My t-shirt was soaked through and dripping with blood. I removed my shirt and got my son to hold a towel tightly on the wound. By this time the security company was there and they had an ambulance in a very short time. I had to go to casualties because they were unsure of the severity of the wound. I locked up and we left with the ambulance. I was not going to leave the house open with the security guy. He said that he had reported it and would wait for the SAPS.

User

Default Re: My Story 10 years ago

Thank you for sharing your story Gary. What was the aftermath of the attack?

User

Casualties and my injuries.

At casualties they cleaned the wounds, There were 3 or 4 deep cuts. They found that one of the wounds had penetrated the ribs. I then had to go for xrays to see if the lung had been punctured. I cant remember if it was xrays or a scan but they found that my lung had not been punctured.The wounds were stitched up I think a total of 14 stitches. The Dr wanted me to be admitted for observation but I refused because I wanted to sort my son out. A friend took me home and after I had calmed my son down and we had 2 or 3 stiff whiskeys and cleaned the place up.

Unforeseen consequences.
    My cell phone battery had gone flat and I put it on the charge. It was nearly midnight and I didn't want to disturb my wife. I thought that I would phone her in the morning and give full story.
    What I didn't realise is that Tracker had my wife as a contact for my car. They phoned her and told her that they were busy trying to track the car. When she tried to get hold of me my phone was flat and she panicked badly. I had only phoned 1 friend from the hospital and no-one else knew anything. At about 1pm my brother in-law arrived to find out what was happening. Needless to say I was in the cr@p till my eyeballs.

I got my son calmed down and he seemed alright. he said that the second guy was holding a knife to his throat but he was ok. The next week I booked for him and I to go for counselling. Before the counselling he was already going on about how he was fine and the timing interfered with a school gala and that he didn't want to go. I cancelled the counselling which was a mistake. Years later I realised how the incident had affected his personality and the psychological effect it had on him. It left him with a lot of anger and hatred it also caused anxiety attacks. I think I am fine but I wouldn't know for sure. I would advise anyone involved in violent incidents to go for some form of counselling.

Mistakes made.
    I could fill a page with all the mistakes made.
    1. I had insufficient security and more home. This included passive security.
    -I have cut away bushes from the area
    -Increased lighting all around the house
    - put up palisade fences in the front and razer wire on all other walls.
    - fitted a secure palisade gate to protect the garage doors.
    - fitted a palisade fence down the side leading to the garage essentially making the garage entrance a well lit palisade cage
    - have fitted a camera and beams in the front yard.
    2. Complacency
    This was probably my biggest fault. We were relaxed and unaware of the surroundings. The area is now well lit and I have made my whole family more aware of being alert when arriving home. Look out for cars following, don't open up or turn into the driveway while people are around the gate. Don't waste time entering or exiting the yard. Get gates and garage doors opened and closed asap.

User

Thank God you made it out of your ordeal alive.

User

SAPS response

Apparently an SAPS patrol van arrived at the scene and took details of the incident.
    An investigating officer phoned me latter the next week and took down some details over the phone. He then said that I was lucky to have recovered my vehicle (more about that later) and cheers. I told him that that was not good enough I wanted charges of armed robbery, assault, attempted murder etc. investigated.

He made an appointment to come and see me. This was cancelled. he made a 2nd appointment and didn't turn up. I phoned the detectives office and was told that he was on leave. Till today I have never seen him or heard from him again.

Recovery of the vehicle.
    The Ivory park SAPS in Tembisa phoned we to meet them to go and recover my car. This was on the Sunday morning 2 days after the hijacking. I met them and had to follow them through the squatter camp. The was in a residential area. It was lin a garage behind a locked gate. There were about 10 people braaing in the yard. I asked them if they were going to question the home owners. they walked over and returned in less that a minute saying that they knew nothing. the car was open and the keys were in the car. I wanted to take the car but was told that it would be taken to the police pound in Brakpan. Getting the car back made the arto licencing department seem efficient. I demanded that they take finger prints before touching the car. they radioed in and requested a finger print tech. About 90 minutes later they got a call from a high ranking officer that there was no tech available and that we were wasting our time because it had been 2 days and other people may have touched the car. Dead end there

User

Today I am much more alert. I carry my Glock 19 and practice every month to 2 months. I think that I should go and do some formal self defence training.

I am still not 100% secure when entering or leaving a property. It looks like most or many incidents occur here. Any advice by experienced members will be appreciated.

User

Thanx for posting. Did they somehow obstruct the garage door and prevent it from closing or they got in and it continued closing behind them?

User

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    Today I am much more alert. I carry my Glock 19 and practice every month to 2 months. I think that I should go and do some formal self defence training.

I am still not 100% secure when entering or leaving a property. It looks like most or many incidents occur here. Any advice by experienced members will be appreciated.
    Hi gary-t

I agree that you should go for training with your firearm, as much as you can. I did a course in September and it was a real eye opener, going to the range is just not enough in my opinion, I am doing another course in early November and will do a course at every opportunity (finances and time allowing) that i get. I will PM you the details, your profile says you are in Boksburg and this one is in Germiston so not too far for you.

With regards to the counselling you can and should still do this, especially for your son. PTSD lingers for years and manifests in the ways you have mentioned such as anxiety and anger/hate. I was listening to the My Only Story podcast today and there was a comment made that stuck with me. it went along the lines of (and I'm paraphrasing now). Boys who don't speak out, are boys who act out in some cases this "acting out" manifests later in life with things like addiction and behavioral issues to name a few despite the best efforts of the family. I know the context in which I heard this comment is very different to the situation you and your boy were in but PTSD works in exactly the same way for all scenarios (albeit with different manifestations).

User

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    Don't waste time entering or exiting the yard. Get gates and garage doors opened and closed asap.
    My folks were ambushed in 2010, when they drove into the garage, they were followed by 5 people who were hiding in garden. no one got hurt, end of that.

The reason im mentioning this is that it thought me a very good tactic, REVERSE into your driveway... Reverse into your garage.

Our driveway is wide and long so I can drive in and comfortably reverse into my garage, best to wait for garage to close before exiting vehicle but we become complacent, so if you reversed in to your garage you will have a view of anyone entering, and you could flee much easier...

Hey gary-t

This really is a sad story and made angry.

I have no words to describe the helplessness and seeing one's family go through the trauma.

How you and your son got through this I do not know.

Hindsight is always a precise science, and I hope that in writing this that it may be cathartic for you.

Having lost your son I suspect brought this event, perhaps undealt with, to the fore.

I am so sorry for you for what you had to go through, then and now.

Prayers for you and your family at this time.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast