User

Default Lead sled : How practical and functional when shooting accurately on long range?

Members, I like to hear from you in regards to using a lead sled when want to shoot long range accurately in controlled environment such as a long range shooting table on a range..

User

Default Re: Lead sled : How practical and functional when shooting accurately on long range?

One-piece rests, like the Lead Sled and others, sounds like a good idea. The ability to align the sights the same with every shot. Yet, everytime I see someone on the range use it, their groupings does not reflect much precision. Made me conclude that it is not such a good idea as initially thought.

I suspect that the recoil transmitted to the rear rest disturbs the front rest before the bullet has exit the barrel, thereby making a joke of all your carefully selected harmonic nodes.

User

Default Re: Lead sled : How practical and functional when shooting accurately on long range?

The primary purpose of the Lead Sled and similar devices is to absorb some of the recoil when benching a hard-kicking rifle such as a big bore DG rifle, allowing you to get your loads developed and the sights adjusted without too much pain.

As with any weight attached to the rifle, this will affect POI to some extent, so verifying your zero from a more natural position is still needed.

I was shooting next to someone last week who was using one. The groups weren’t much to be impressed by. I group better using a sling and a sandbag support under my front hand, and a rear bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Gert , I don’t recommend them at all for precision shooting. I actually find them to do the opposite .
    There is a place for them and I normally use them when doing load develop or when i fit a new scope on my bigger bore rifles ( .40 caliber and upwards) but once i am successful i move onto the shooting sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Members, I like to hear from you in regards to using a lead sled when want to shoot long range accurately in controlled environment such as a long range shooting table on a range..
    No-one uses a lead sled for long range accuracy.

I've seen them used for load development.

Providing a hard stop to the rifle with no movement can result in a broken stock.

I've also read about scopes that were damaged this way.

It is possible to build a mechanical platform that holds the rifle securely, permits free recoil travel, and returns the rifle to the original point of aim, but that is not a lead sled.

User

Members, thank you kindly as always, your input is much appreciated. Yes, this is why I am asking this question since I too doubt the effective nice of a lead sled , I noticed most shooters use the shooting bags and get good results from the bench.

I rather use /or learn to use shooting sticks to shoot the large calibers as Rigby pointed out.

"It is possible to build a mechanical platform that holds the rifle securely, permits free recoil travel, and returns the rifle to the original point of aim, but that is not a lead sled"

414 Gates , I think this proposal will certainly make a lot of sense in regards to using a lead sledge for sure...

Maybe this is more what you need to look at. Expensive though!

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

A lead sled is bad for accuracy. I only use it once in a while for the big bores when shooting over a chronograph. For sighting them in and checking accuracy, shooting over a tripod does it for me when the recoil on a bench with a bean bag gets too much.

Regarding breaking of stocks and scopes? Mmmmm - Have not seen or heard of it happening previously, but thinking about it, it must be possible. The energy must go somewhere. The upwards jump seems to be more severe in a lead sled especially with the big bores, so I deduce that less energy is transferred to the rear as a rifle stock and scopes are designed for and more energy is put towards the upward jump then that occurs in a lead sled.