Default DIY scope ring lapping?

Can anyone assist with ideas on DIY scope ring lapping, on the cheap?

I don’t want to spend millions on this gun, but the rings I got, I suspect, could benefit from lapping.

Is it is as simple as getting a piece of 25.4mm round shaft from a steel supply company, and some fine valve bedding paste?

I’ve read Dick’s thread where he used smaller sized shaft with sandpaper over it, but that seems to bring in a few complications with sand paper thickness etc that I’m not sure I need, as I won’t be lapping rings very often at all so wear on the lapping shaft shouldn’t be an issue.

User

Default Re: DIY scope ring lapping?

Hhmmm... methinks we should talk offline. have you bought the rings and bases yet?

I have.

Stainless rings, I have two “bases”; a 0 MOA rail (brand escapes me now), and a 20 MOA MDT rail.

User

Dick's ebook on lapping is worth getting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    Dick's ebook on lapping is worth getting.
    If it's even a fraction as good as his casting book I second that recommendation.

Banned

If you back yard like me - water paper glued to a old scrap scope tube has worked for me for years. Not perfect but many times better than some rings I have had.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Can anyone assist with ideas on DIY scope ring lapping, on the cheap?

I don’t want to spend millions on this gun, but the rings I got, I suspect, could benefit from lapping.

Is it is as simple as getting a piece of 25.4mm round shaft from a steel supply company, and some fine valve bedding paste?

I’ve read Dick’s thread where he used smaller sized shaft with sandpaper over it, but that seems to bring in a few complications with sand paper thickness etc that I’m not sure I need, as I won’t be lapping rings very often at all so wear on the lapping shaft shouldn’t be an issue.
    I have used fine water paper around a 25mm rod for-almost-ever and have only had good results. The 0,4 mm difference is just enough to accommodate the very fine (1200 grit) water paper available around here.

Just see if 25,0mm bar stock is available down there in "Elsewhere". They may not have heard of the metric system yet...