Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Emfuleni Local Municipality sucks

I think this latest round of 4 days with no electricity came at a very good time. I hope it opened some more eyes just before the election.
    You should have seen how they swarmed the SE1 area on Friday 15th canvassing for support, all dressed in brand new t shirts etc. Eish

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    I think this latest round of 4 days with no electricity came at a very good time. I hope it opened some more eyes just before the election.
    You should have seen how they swarmed the SE1 area on Friday 15th canvassing for support, all dressed in brand new t shirts etc. Eish
    The sad reality is that even if everything was burning and everyone starving most would still vote for the cancer. Makes you wonder how on earth people cannot take ownership of their decisions. Vote for cancer, blame everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    The sad reality is that even if everything was burning and everyone starving most would still vote for the cancer. Makes you wonder how on earth people cannot take ownership of their decisions. Vote for cancer, blame everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Easy, they have an enemy. The enemy is everyone who does better than them and isn’t in the same tribe. Ubuntu in its truest form.

User

Democracy is wasted on SA. Of that I am quite certain.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Majoritarianism is seen as Democratic in Africa.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

What we have in SA is "Predatory Democratic Dictatorship"

User

What we have currently is not Constitutional Democracy. What we have is Mob Rule.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    What we have currently is not Constitutional Democracy. What we have is Mob Rule.
    What's undemocratic about our setup? Voters register and vote periodically in elections that seem to be pretty much free and fair. The outcomes of the elections are 'sub-optimal' at best but I fail to see how it isn't democracy in action.

User

What's undemocratic about our setup? Voters register and vote periodically in elections that seem to be pretty much free and fair. The outcomes of the elections are 'sub-optimal' at best but I fail to see how it isn't democracy in action.

Democracy is not simply majority rule. It's rule by a government, chosen by the majority, but which is compelled by law to rule to the benefit of all, not simply the majority. The rule of law is sacrosanct in a democracy, which cANCer has shown it's willingness to undermine and ignore. Winning an election does not make cANCer any more democratic than winning a horse race makes you a horse. After all, Hitler, Mussolini and Mugarbage won elections.

As for "free and fair" elections, there is very little outright fraud (which the IEC deserves credit for), but vote buying and voter intimidation are both still high. As Adlai Stevenson put it, a free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular.

Besides, what possible alternatives to democracy are there for South Africa other than Russian/Chinese style one party dictatorship?

User

My take is that your issue is with the quality of our democracy rather than whether it is nominally one which it obviously is. I am not advocating for any other form of government as its the one that has done the most good for mankind. Unfortunately, just as Hitler and Mugabe benefitted from a gullible electorate so has the ANC. Democracy gets the government that the electorate deserve and one that reflects them. Our government accurately reflects the qualities and values of the electorate IMO and whatever comes after the ANC is unlikely to be any better for exactly the same reason.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast