Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default AR accessories - Wants vs Needs

I have finally taken the plunge and bought my 1st AR (556). It has taken a long time to find something that appealed to me and my future shooting needs/wants. And trying to get stock has been crazy for the last 12 months!

While I wait for the license, it’s time to start getting all the accessories. Being stuck in little old PE, there is almost nothing available off the shelf in our GS’s for AR’s.

Beside my choice of glass and a set of reloading dies and cleaning kit, what other items are nice to have, must haves and a complete waste?

Most the items will have to be bought online, and I will be unable to touch or feel, so any advice, brand or even links would be really appreciated.

I have stacks of hunting stuff and have made the error many times of buying things which were a complete waste of time and are never ever used in reality.

Things I was considering are…
    Ambi safety
    Ambi charge handle
    Suppressor (best type for an AR?)
    Tactical rifle Bag
    Sling/strap (single or 2 point)
    Bipod (I have an UTG already but may need a longer one for an AR)
    Additional Magazines
    Magazine holders
    Quick loaders
    Trigger upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: AR accessories - Wants vs Needs

If you know Jean Marc at PERPC go and have a chat to him. If you want I can PM you his no?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    If you know Jean Marc at PERPC go and have a chat to him. If you want I can PM you his no?

Please do so!
    I won’t contact him till the new year, when my app should be getting closer to finalized.

User

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsieEC View Post
    Please do so!
    I won’t contact him till the new year, when my app should be getting closer to finalized.

Sent it,
    call him and ask when they are doing a 3 gun at the club. Pop in and have a chat to him.
    Don’t buy stuff (except mags) until you are sure you will need it.

Banned

Stack up on reloading goodies, especially primers and powder. They will probably be getting scarce.

User

From a person who has shot many different AR's, built a few, own a few, and sent close 100k rounds down range in various different rifles.

My suggestion... get mags, get ammo and shoot the gun.
    You will quickly discover what works for you, what doesn't, what you can live with and what you can't.

We spend too much time looking at what the internet says we need on the gun, and not enough time using the guns we have... myself included.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    My suggestion... get mags, get ammo and shoot the gun.
    You will quickly discover what works for you, what doesn't, what you can live with and what you can't.

We spend too much time looking at what the internet says we need on the gun, and not enough time using the guns we have... myself included.
    I know jack about AR's but this advice is on the money for all the other guns I have bought over the years. Accessories don't make you shoot better in and of themselves but shooting more almost always does.

User

Thanks guys!

As per my OP, reloading kit is 1st on my list.
    Shooting has never been an issue - love things that go bang and I love helping them live up to their potential.
    I try and shoot twice a month during summer and much more during winter. Lucky to have lots of opportunities down here in the EC!

User

If you want to reload I would suggest that you get a adjustable gas block because most AR's are over gassed and then your case rims gets damaged. If you want to do sport shooting then most (IPSC, DMG etc) don't allow silencers. Then a comp would be the best. A hand full of decent mags. Then you must decide what division you want to shoot in - open div with scope or standard wit iron sights.
    As previously mentioned visit a club and look, ask, pick up brass, patch, mingle and learn. Most of the guys might give you a change to try a couple of shots afterwards.

As Stevin sais get ammo. Don't get carried away on mags. Unless you drop them on the ground two mags are likely to last a lifetime. A bag is useful and maybe a mag holder. Adjustable gas blocks are really only necessary for suppressors. If a bit over gassed then an H2 buffer will sort it out. A Colt etc will be properly gassed. If it damages cases then the gun is crap.Triggers are much the same. On decent quality guns the machining is good and it is unnecessary to replace them. The cheaper guns seem to have rougher castings or inferior material which leads to a gritty feel.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast