Default stock oil recommendations

I have a wooden stock rifle, don't know what wood it is, but I think it could do with a light oil. Any recommendations on what I could use. I don't want to do lots of work on the stock as it's still pretty good, But I'd like to look after it

Default Re: stock oil recommendations

Schaftol

Get some Danish Oil. You wipe it on. Wait 15 minutes for the wood to absorb. Put on again and after 15 minutes wipe of excess.

Danish Oil absorbs into wood. And slightly hardens. Protects against water and drying out.

You can repeat every year.

On my shotguns stocks I now started using Bees Wax for wood. Also gives great results and protection against moisture.

User

Quote Originally Posted by aimpoint View Post
    Schaftol
    ^This. Super light applications rubbed in by hand. Let dry completely and repeat, many, many times. I freshen up my wood stock guns annually after season by steaming out dings and oiling. Once done with the oiling I use a furniture wax that I cant remember the name of to waterproof outside and in.

thanks guys

User

Many folks over here use Tru-Oil to refinish their stocks. Multiple coats, some say 6 to 12, depending on the finish you’re after. A light scrub with 0000 steel wool produces a matte finish if a shiny finish isn’t your thing.
    R\Griff

Banned

If the stock is still varnished you will have to sand it off. Start with 200grit if it is thick varnish, then 400 grit, and end with 600 grit or even 800 grit. Final sanding wih good old steel wool.

Schaftöl has a good name.

I have considered trying one of the Woodoc variants, or even something like Waxol but I am not sure yet.

User

Quote Originally Posted by dammitgriff View Post
    Many folks over here use Tru-Oil to refinish their stocks. Multiple coats, some say 6 to 12, depending on the finish you’re after. A light scrub with 0000 steel wool produces a matte finish if a shiny finish isn’t your thing.
    R\Griff
    Tru-Oil and Danish oil have drying agents so they are relatively quick. Schaftol has none, or at least much less, so it takes much longer to dry and must be used very much more sparingly. When applied by hand rubbing you can get a fantastic finish if you are patient enough. My field shotty got 20+ applications from clean wood when I did its last stock refurb. If starting from bare wood raising the grain and sanding it back a couple times is helpful. I also find that wet sanding in the first three or four coats of oil with 600/800 paper does an excellent job of plugging up the pores. Apart from how good it can look the biggest advantage of an oil finish is that it is possible to spot repair finish defects pretty much invisibly. When steaming out dings the finish is ruined where you steam but it can be blended back in such that it cant be seen. Thats not true with a surface coating like varnish unless you are Ninja level.

User

Default stock oil recommendations

I used tru oil on my stock and it worked a charm . The small bottle from Dave sheer was more than enough for 2 rifle stocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    If the stock is still varnished you will have to sand it off. Start with 200grit if it is thick varnish, then 400 grit, and end with 600 grit or even 800 grit. Final sanding wih good old steel wool.

Schaftöl has a good name.

I have considered trying one of the Woodoc variants, or even something like Waxol but I am not sure yet.
    I have used Woodoc Furniture wax on a birchwood stock of a Bisley rifle and 8 years later it still looks good