Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Ready to buy hunting rifle .308

Hi guys,

Need advice on what brand of rifle to buy

As well as which shop to support and that will have decent stock levels and good pricing. I'm on east rand but can go anywhere in JHB and PTA

Considering getting a 308 for bushveld hunting, and also some longer distance targets at 500M.

I will get a decent scope and silencer, and my sons will also use it soon

Please let me know your thoguths on shops and brands please, as well as barrel options

Regards

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Ready to buy hunting rifle .308

This is a very subjective matter.

What is your budget? What are you looking for in terms of ergonomics? Do you want a wooden or laminate or synthetic stock? Do you aspire to a big brand name or not?

Almost all modern rifles will be very accurate out the box, some will be of a better quality in terms of materials used and finishing. Generally cost is a good indicator of quality, however there are some really good value for money brands that are ridiculously cheap for what you get such as the Howa 1500.

Realistically, you don't need a bull barrel to shoot out to 500M accurately and carrying a bull barrel rifle around when hunting sucks in comparison to carrying a lightweight sporter. The choice is yours though.

Shops? Well I like to support the smaller retailers and would recommend HiTec Arms in Benoni. Vic is a good guy and will probably be able to get you whatever you want, in fact when I bought my .458 Lott he arranged for me to go and choose the one I wanted at the importer. Likewise he has assisted with getting me scope mounts, dies and even bullets.

User

Look at what is your total budget for rifle, scope, rings etc.

Spend a sizeable amount on the rifle, but buy a good quality scope with aftermarket support. In my opinion for a person that shoot occasionally a Burris Eliminator IV would be hard to beat- my first shot out of my brothers Parker Hale 308 with the Burris Eliminator on ringed the gong at 400 meters.
    https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/...cope-4-16x50mm

Also keep in mind what it will cost to shoot the rifle in terms of range cost, ammunition etc. Rather keep money offer to spend shooting the rifle than buying the most expensive rifle on the market.

Remember this is your first rifle- you can always later buy a bigger, better etc rifle- but buy one now that you are able financially to shoot regularly.

User

Just buy a Howa!

Banned

What is your experience up to now?

And how often do you shoot?

If you only shoot once in a while, a regular Howa with a Leupold 3-9x42 will suffice.

It is more important to practice enough, than to have the best equipment.

User

What is your rifle budget and what is your scope budget?

Licenses are a disaster at the moment. Take a little time and buy right first time.

Is it just going to be a tool, or is it going to be something special?

Think of what weight belluets you will like to shoot as well. You get some 308's in 1:10 and 1:12 twist. The 1:12 will not be suitable for long mono type bullets which may limit you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    This is a very subjective matter.

What is your budget? What are you looking for in terms of ergonomics? Do you want a wooden or laminate or synthetic stock? Do you aspire to a big brand name or not?

Almost all modern rifles will be very accurate out the box, some will be of a better quality in terms of materials used and finishing. Generally cost is a good indicator of quality, however there are some really good value for money brands that are ridiculously cheap for what you get such as the Howa 1500.

Realistically, you don't need a bull barrel to shoot out to 500M accurately and carrying a bull barrel rifle around when hunting sucks in comparison to carrying a lightweight sporter. The choice is yours though.

Shops? Well I like to support the smaller retailers and would recommend HiTec Arms in Benoni. Vic is a good guy and will probably be able to get you whatever you want, in fact when I bought my .458 Lott he arranged for me to go and choose the one I wanted at the importer. Likewise he has assisted with getting me scope mounts, dies and even bullets.
    Budget 15 - 20k for the rifle, I currently have a lynx scope on my .303 that might use on .308 for time being.

Brand names not necessary as long as I get accuracy and longevity from the rifle.

I read a bit on the Howa 1500 with the synthetic Hogue stock, and seems it's best to buy coupled with another chassis to allow for free float barrel.

Thanks for shop recommendation, I am close to them and can pay them a visit and see what is available from Vic

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Look at what is your total budget for rifle, scope, rings etc.

Spend a sizeable amount on the rifle, but buy a good quality scope with aftermarket support. In my opinion for a person that shoot occasionally a Burris Eliminator IV would be hard to beat- my first shot out of my brothers Parker Hale 308 with the Burris Eliminator on ringed the gong at 400 meters.
    https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/...cope-4-16x50mm

Also keep in mind what it will cost to shoot the rifle in terms of range cost, ammunition etc. Rather keep money offer to spend shooting the rifle than buying the most expensive rifle on the market.

Remember this is your first rifle- you can always later buy a bigger, better etc rifle- but buy one now that you are able financially to shoot regularly.
    That's quiet the scope with range finder etc built in, thank you.

I currently have .22 and .303 as well as Shotgun and handgun. The .303 was taken in to see if I can start using it for hunting, and it seem the barrel might not be worth it, if I can't find a decent 2nd hand barrel to replace it with, awaiting final verdict from Henry though. This is why the .308 came up and want to try get application in this year still so the countdown can start

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    Just buy a Howa!
    Seems like way to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    What is your experience up to now?

And how often do you shoot?

If you only shoot once in a while, a regular Howa with a Leupold 3-9x42 will suffice.

It is more important to practice enough, than to have the best equipment.
    Maintain my DSS status through out year. Will be on range every 2nd month or so with this gun and 3 - 4 hunts per year is the aim.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    What is your rifle budget and what is your scope budget?

Licenses are a disaster at the moment. Take a little time and buy right first time.

Is it just going to be a tool, or is it going to be something special?
    Rifle as per above 15 - 20k. Scope probably same amount later one, but will use the lynx for now to get hutting with it.

This licensing issue is my concern and why I wanted to try sort out the .303 which is already licensed, but seems like a new application will be on the cards, and something I'd rather get done sooner or later.

I've been looking at CZ, Remington etc as well as it will be my go to gun for hunting till I give it over to my sons. So does not have to be special R 100k weapon, but must last and be able to do the job every time.

Quote Originally Posted by 264WinMag View Post
    Think of what weight belluets you will like to shoot as well. You get some 308's in 1:10 and 1:12 twist. The 1:12 will not be suitable for long mono type bullets which may limit you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for this, I did not even think about it. So will stick to 1:10

For now leaning towards the Howa 1500 with Oryx chassis - has anyone got this combination, need pros and cons please.

Or please advise another setup

User

Would a chassis not be a tad on the heavy side for bushveld hunting (walk-and-stalk)?

Quote Originally Posted by HotKlou View Post
    Would a chassis not be a tad on the heavy side for bushveld hunting (walk-and-stalk)?
    Will read up on weight, thanks. I use for adding unnecessary weight for something that will be carried days at a time.

What else can you suggest that allows barrel to free float

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast