Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Heino13 View Post
    Will read up on weight, thanks. I use for adding unnecessary weight for something that will be carried days at a time.

What else can you suggest that allows barrel to free float

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
    If you going howa with chassis just for a free floating barrel, you may aswell consider a Tikka. They come free floating in factory stock. They are well made rifles that will last a life time. Factory trigger is also one of the best. Unfortunately their prices have gone up but i see some good specials every now and then.

User

Will read up on weight, thanks. I use for adding unnecessary weight for something that will be carried days at a time.

put some thought into your primary mission. if this is mainly a hunting rifle the standard hogue stock isn't a shit option. also, you get drop-in wooden and laminate alternatives.

if you primarily want to ring steel at long distance, a chassis becomes a great option. a similar argument can be made for scope options, barrel profile etc.

User

Default Re: Ready to buy hunting rifle .308

Well, you get Howa rifles with a wooden stock as standard and wooden stocks are generally easy to free float, another sub R20k option is the Weatherby Vanguard that uses the same action and barrel as the Howa but is finished to a better standard with a much better synthetic stock if you want to go for synthetic.

I would still recommend going for a sporter profile barrel if the primary use is for hunting. Most rifles available today, even cheap ones, are quite capable of sub-MOA groupings in sporter configuration. Weatherby goes as far as to guarantee this when using premium ammo.

A very important way get better accuracy is a very good trigger pull weight.

The Tikka mentioned above has same trigger as the Sako85.

And for less then R5-00 you can get the already brilliant adjustable factory trigger to under 1 Pound. Which will increase your group.

Howa's are good and get the job done. But it aint no Tikka or Sako.

User

.308 win is a good choice as far as the cartridge is concerned.

Howa is a good rifle choice. You can have the trigger fixed for less than R1k (probably much less), the action is scaled to the cartridge (like the Sako and unlike the Tikka). The barrel has a 1 in 10" twist which will handle any bullet you need. I have been using Howas, virtually daily, since 2000 and have never been disappointed. If you want to spend more, look at the Sako 85, it is much prettier.

A chassis is excellent for shooting gongs and a very poor choice for hunting. A chassis is heavy, clumsy of shooting sticks and tend to snag on brush and clothing.

There are good stocks available that will fill either role.

OR.

A 10c washer on top of the front pillar will free float a Hogue stock to the extent that the barrel and stock will never touch (thanks Messor) and a cheap cheek riser will solve the problem of the comb being too low for prone shooting.

Banned

Ruger M77 All Weather In satin finish stainless.

I would replace every rifle I have with the above if I could. My .270 is in above presentation and its just awesome.
    I do have a thing for stainless though ....... and Rugers.

Default Ready to buy hunting rifle .308

My favourite Tikka Tx3 308 in all-weather SS and laminate . Light and accurate
    My go-to rifle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all replies in regards to, cartridge, barrel types, triggers, overall weight, primary use etc

So a chassis is out of question as main purpose will be hunting, whether it be bush at 80 - 150m, or plains at 250 - 400m

And with all this; thea Tikka really got my attention, what would a good special go on for this rifle?

How would a Remington arms do in this mix? Got a friend with once, and another with CZ, obviously both of them swears by it, both .308

Have a look at the CZ557 american. S&O had the 6.5 cm for just under 20k. I haven't seen the rifle in person but it looks great and some good reviews.

User

the days are gone where the cost of the rifle determines how well it would shoot. all factory rifles these days have some sort of accuracy guarantee. I have my own personal doubts about current factory rifles produced in the US, as it seems all the major manufacturers struggle with QC and bankruptcy and takeovers and stuff. the newest Winchester rifles are manufactured in Portugal I think, and finished kn the US.

you have to ask: do you want a rifle you can work with, or do you want one that will also be a sentimental heirloom down the line. if the former, then there's almost no choice other than a Howa, it'll be boringly accurate, you can easily get accessories for it, and the money you svenon the rifle can be put towards optics, silencer etc. however it's probably not going to be a sentimental treasure. if you want that, then invest the money in a CZ / SAKO / Tikka / Winchester etc. The rifle will shoot just as well, but it may be prettier.

Up to now I've only had pretty, sentimental rifles. Both 308s are also really accurate and as close to factory original from 49 years ago. I recently bought a Howa 223, and it is nice having something I can pimp with modern toys, without feeling guilty that I'm buggering around with a piece of history.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast