Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Ready to buy hunting rifle .308

Unless you seeking a inheritance piece thing of beauty that you may fear using, as a first/only hunting rifle, just go Stainless barrel and synthetic or laminated stock - would replace every one of my rifles with mentioned type of set up with out a thought if it were not such a shlepp.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    the days are gone where the cost of the rifle determines how well it would shoot. all factory rifles these days have some sort of accuracy guarantee. I have my own personal doubts about current factory rifles produced in the US, as it seems all the major manufacturers struggle with QC and bankruptcy and takeovers and stuff. the newest Winchester rifles are manufactured in Portugal I think, and finished kn the US.

you have to ask: do you want a rifle you can work with, or do you want one that will also be a sentimental heirloom down the line. if the former, then there's almost no choice other than a Howa, it'll be boringly accurate, you can easily get accessories for it, and the money you svenon the rifle can be put towards optics, silencer etc. however it's probably not going to be a sentimental treasure. if you want that, then invest the money in a CZ / SAKO / Tikka / Winchester etc. The rifle will shoot just as well, but it may be prettier.

Up to now I've only had pretty, sentimental rifles. Both 308s are also really accurate and as close to factory original from 49 years ago. I recently bought a Howa 223, and it is nice having something I can pimp with modern toys, without feeling guilty that I'm buggering around with a piece of history.
    That pretty much sums it up!

For the record, I own or have owned sporterised Lee Enfield, Howa, CZ & Brno, Musgrave, Mauser & mauser-actioned derivatives as well as American brands like Savage & Ruger in a variety of calibres. I have also used rifles that weren't mine of the same and other brands including Sako & Tkka (seeing as these brands were mentioned by others). All have their place and I have enjoyed (almost) all of them for their particular merits, but for a first rifle I would recommend Howa 308 every single time, 100% of the time. Only decision required is std barrel or heavy barrel. I would recommend buying it with the standard Hogue stock (which is "free") and upgrade later. After you have got used to rifles and decided what works for you, then go out and buy an heirloom with a fancy brand name, stock & trimmings in a different calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Unless you seeking a inheritance piece thing of beauty that you may fear using, as a first/only hunting rifle, just go Stainless barrel and synthetic or laminated stock - would replace every one of my rifles with mentioned type of set up with out a thought if it were not such a shlepp.
    This Tikka is my first stainless rifle with laminate stock, and I’d do again in a second. No stress about scratching or rusting or getting caught in rain. It looks good, is well balanced and shoots very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Heino13 View Post
    Thanks for all replies in regards to, cartridge, barrel types, triggers, overall weight, primary use etc

So a chassis is out of question as main purpose will be hunting, whether it be bush at 80 - 150m, or plains at 250 - 400m

And with all this; thea Tikka really got my attention, what would a good special go on for this rifle?

How would a Remington arms do in this mix? Got a friend with once, and another with CZ, obviously both of them swears by it, both .308
    People don’t know what they don’t know. Have they owned a Tikka or Sako before? Have they even touched or cycled one in a shop?

My preference, and I have just sold my last Howa. And there is nothing wrong, it gets the job done just fine! It did not fill me with joy when I took it out the safe. I also have CZ’s, Rugers, a Marlin and then Tikka’s and Sako’s. I am interested in nothing else now as far as bolt action hunting rifles go. It just leaves you with a different feeling.

I think your budget allows you to get very close to a Tikka. If you want to save money, don’t get a rifle at all…

My suggestion would be to go with a Tikka T3 on a laminated stock to start out and at a later stage put it onto a Boyds adjustable stock with pillars and bedding as finances allow .I have a T3 in 30 06 on a GRS Beserka adjustable stock and it is extremely accurate .

User

I have a Remington 700 sps 20" bull barrel.
    Hogue stock, stock trigger. Rifle is a tack driver, only been out to 300 with it.
    No issues carrying the 20" bull barrel in the bush, recently added a reflex suppressor and it's still fine for day out in the bush in terms of weight, I think a good sling also makes a difference here, I have a nice padded limbsaver.

User

Buy all accounts, a standard Howa is good enough for most purposes and usually does not need improvement. If you like tinkering with your rifle, then Howa would be the way to go. But, "pimp-my-Howa" is not always a cheap exercise. And, once you are done, you still only have a Howa.

Personally, I think buying a Howa to "improve" with aftermarket parts does not really make sense from a financial point of view.

If you take the price of a new Howa, add the price of your new stock of choice, the nice trigger, gunsmith cost of fitting all of the above, then you find it is getting quite close to buying a new Tikka. Add to that the inconvenience of shooting with a rifle that is not to your satisfaction yet and the time the rifle is in the shop for said gunsmith to do the actual work, I would rather buy the Tikka.

But then, I have always been slightly weird...

What is the difference between these 2?
    T3x hunter and T3 varmint.

Different barrels possibly?

Looks like T3 is older and not made anymore

Syntehtic vs wooden stock

Anything else that will lean me towards the one or other

Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

User

So I have read this whole thread, my opinion, get a Howa 20"bullbarrel, got mine at Kloppers in a laminated stock for about R12000..

Yes I had the trigger changed.. And the rifle was bedded..

This a 3 shot grouping at 200m..buy your Howa, and spend some money on a decent scope.. My 2c

Attachment 34073

Quote Originally Posted by Heino13 View Post
    What is the difference between these 2?
    T3x hunter and T3 varmint.

Different barrels possibly?

Looks like T3 is older and not made anymore

Syntehtic vs wooden stock

Anything else that will lean me towards the one or other

Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
    The varmint will be a bull barrel ( thick barrel ). T3 is the older model, bolt shroud is plastic, T3x is metal. Also improvement on the t3x is the recoil lug. If you are going to drop it into a chassis it won’t matter, the bolt shroud you can get aftermarket. So only difference will be barrel thickness and stock material.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast