Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PEW ammunition

User

Default Re: PEW ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by DMeek View Post
    Going to be using a bunch of this stuff for a Steel Plate Challenge at the end of the month. will let you know if there are any issues.
    I didnt experience any issues.

User

I found one more piece of brass from my cleaning process (about halfway done with initial cleaning) and it is again a PEW branded 9mm, per the image below (apologies for the hyperlink, the images don't seem to be working today?):

1) https://imgur.com/IFR5pbU

2) https://imgur.com/L1urmDH

3) https://imgur.com/BWUgSQq

The problem I have is that I don't know from which gun these have been shot, nor do I know the number of potential reloads. However per image no 2, it looks like the brass on the far left is once fired, whilst the other two could be reloads. I couldn't even remove the primer from the image on the right as it popped up both my 9mm Lee & universal decapping rods. **And please keep in mind the brass has only been cleaned for depriming and still needs to be cleaned thereafter to ensure clean primer pockets for the final loading process.

What I am going to do is purchase a pack of 250 rounds, hire a range gun from my local range then try and pick them up. I'll then clean and reload them and document my findings as I think that would be more empirical based evidence to establish a legitimate hypothesis.

I've got some time from December the 15th until the 20th, when I'll test the above and hopefully revert with usable data.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    I found one more piece of brass from my cleaning process (about halfway done with initial cleaning) and it is again a PEW branded 9mm, per the image below (apologies for the hyperlink, the images don't seem to be working today?):

1) https://imgur.com/IFR5pbU

2) https://imgur.com/L1urmDH

3) https://imgur.com/BWUgSQq

The problem I have is that I don't know from which gun these have been shot, nor do I know the number of potential reloads. However per image no 2, it looks like the brass on the far left is once fired, whilst the other two could be reloads. I couldn't even remove the primer from the image on the right as it popped up both my 9mm Lee & universal decapping rods. **And please keep in mind the brass has only been cleaned for depriming and still needs to be cleaned thereafter to ensure clean primer pockets for the final loading process.

What I am going to do is purchase a pack of 250 rounds, hire a range gun from my local range then try and pick them up. I'll then clean and reload them and document my findings as I think that would be more empirical based evidence to establish a legitimate hypothesis.

I've got some time from December the 15th until the 20th, when I'll test the above and hopefully revert with usable data.
    You can buy the ammo for me and i can shoot it all off for you! and bring you back as many empty cases as possible. i will even hire the range

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post

Will be very interesting

User

You still ready to test?

User

So after around 500 rds of this ammo i had this happen to me yesterday. The primer detonated, it sounded like a squib but after ejecting the round i saw that the bullet was still seated in its place. We still doubled checked the barrel anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

User

Did you reload these, or was it store-bought?

How do you load the magazine? The way I do it, I would not miss a sideways primer.

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Did you reload these, or was it store-bought?

How do you load the magazine? The way I do it, I would not miss a sideways primer.
    It was factory ammo, not reloads or factory reloads. I bought it in JHB. I press and slide when loading.

User

I normally open the box and slide the tray out. That allows me to see the case heads and makes it easy to count. Also hels to see if anything looks odd. Then I take the rounds out one at a time to load into yhe magazine.

I normally do it that way as a final quality check on my own reloads, but it serves the same for factory ammo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast