Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Another Ear Pro discussion

Yes, we have discussed hearing protection a number of times before, so please be patient with my dumb questions?

I have bee using all kinds of hearing protection over the past couple of decades, ranging from nothing to some more advanced combinations. The wearing nothing occasions have left me with significantly impaired hearing and occasional tinnitus. (It comes and goes. Uric acid seems to aggravate it.)

For shooting my noisier guns (SBR, revolver, comped pistol and braked rifle) I prefer to "double plug". I use silicone plugs and electronic muffs. This combo seems to cut most of the loud noises while still allowing me to hear range commands. This combo works pretty well and helps to reduce my flinching. The downside is that wearing the muffs for longer periods tends to become uncomfortable, due both to the pressure and the heat build-up under the muffs. (I have already managed to sweat a pair of decent Deben electronic muffs to death.)

The more affordable electronic muffs work mostly well, but they seem to have some lag after "muting" loud noises. This makes conversation and hearing range commands on a busy range difficult, as they are mostly still off when I need to hear things. The better types only filter out the loud (>85dB) noises, but let the normal noises through, so you can have a chat right on the busy range without issues.)

So now I am looking at other options. Walker's (www.walkersgameear.com) have some pretty interesting options. They have 2 types of electronic in-ear plugs that are connected with a cord running around the neck. These seem more advanced than the totally independent electronic plugs, and have the advantage of being rechargeable. If the microphones are positioned away from the ear, one could wear a pair of cheap passive muffs over them for the louder noises, while still hearing all the normal volume noises around you. Unfortunately, they don't say where the mic's are placed, so my guess is on the end of the ear plugs, which defeats my objective. Does anybody know?

Another interesting Walker's option is the clip-on radio (walkie-talkie) that fits on their Razor electronic muffs. This may have some interesting applications. I see the big gun shop stocks them, but the asking price is pretty wild. Amazon.com asks much less, delivery and customs included...

Default Re: Another Ear Pro discussion

Have you thought about custom made in ear plugs with mics in them? Not sure of the price in SA?

I see a number of ear pro kits for making your own custom made in ear plugs on the web but over here in Aus they used to cost more than having them made for you (when I had mine made a while back, now they cost less). I had mine made for Aus $60.00 but they are passives, no mic. The whole process took about 45 minutes. The ones with mics in over here are body-part-bartering expensive, so were not an option for me.

The custom in ear passives are a gazillion times better than any ear muff I have ever used in terms of ear protection and comfort. No more pooling sweat in the muffs, no sweat rotted muffs, no headaches from pressure, no issues wearing hats - in summer here we are anywhere between 33 -42 degrees with 80 - 100% humidity.

User

Greetings @A-R not sure where you are situated and which model / brand you have but the GEL inserts are definitely worth it, you can wear it for 4 hours without any discomfort or headaches in the summer.
    I bought mine directly from this shop.

3M™ PELTOR™ Camelback Gel Sealing Rings HY80 1 EA/Case (hpc-peltor.co.za)

The ones nkosi are mentioning, with it being passive I'm not too sure but the electronic ones are about R8 000 last time I checked.
    Here is some additional info, if you would like to call or email them.

Hearing Protection (noiseclipper.co.za)

Contact Us | CENS® South Africa - ultra lightweight unobtrusive earplug George National (censdigital.co.za)

User

I have, Cense Analogue's, electronic Peltor's, electronic Howard Leight's, Peltor EEP's and 2 sets of MSA Sordin Supremes. All my muffs have gel pads on due to being ultra comfortable and they seal better around your glasses.

Me and my family prefer the MSA's by far for electronics but for a long day on the range playing RO and shooting I still prefer my yellow 98 Peltors also with gel pads.
    When at a rifle match I double plug with corded yellow ear plugs and the 98 Peltor's.

I ordered a pair of Peltor X5 (guess what: also with gel pads) for work, earlier this week. If I remember I'll be able to report back of how good they work combined with variphones next to a electric arc furnace which can sometimes reach 160db.

User

The mics on the walkers sit on the band around your neck.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    The mics on the walkers sit on the band around your neck.
    That is good news indeed. I suspect that those on the cheaper corded plugs (with just a cable around the neck) will sit on the end of the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    I have, Cense Analogue's, electronic Peltor's, electronic Howard Leight's, Peltor EEP's and 2 sets of MSA Sordin Supremes. All my muffs have gel pads on due to being ultra comfortable and they seal better around your glasses.

Me and my family prefer the MSA's by far for electronics but for a long day on the range playing RO and shooting I still prefer my yellow 98 Peltors also with gel pads.
    When at a rifle match I double plug with corded yellow ear plugs and the 98 Peltor's.

I ordered a pair of Peltor X5 (guess what: also with gel pads) for work, earlier this week. If I remember I'll be able to report back of how good they work combined with variphones next to a electric arc furnace which can sometimes reach 160db.
    Quote Originally Posted by Branden88 View Post
    Greetings @A-R not sure where you are situated and which model / brand you have but the GEL inserts are definitely worth it, you can wear it for 4 hours without any discomfort or headaches in the summer.
    I bought mine directly from this shop.

3M™ PELTOR™ Camelback Gel Sealing Rings HY80 1 EA/Case (hpc-peltor.co.za)

The ones nkosi are mentioning, with it being passive I'm not too sure but the electronic ones are about R8 000 last time I checked.
    Here is some additional info, if you would like to call or email them.

Hearing Protection (noiseclipper.co.za)

Contact Us | CENS® South Africa - ultra lightweight unobtrusive earplug George National (censdigital.co.za)
    The Cens custom fitted electronic plugs seem to be pretty good. At the local asking price they better be good. The downside for me is that they won't work well for double-plugging.

Yes, gel ear pads are definitely worth their asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by nkosi View Post
    Have you thought about custom made in ear plugs with mics in them? Not sure of the price in SA?

I see a number of ear pro kits for making your own custom made in ear plugs on the web but over here in Aus they used to cost more than having them made for you (when I had mine made a while back, now they cost less). I had mine made for Aus $60.00 but they are passives, no mic. The whole process took about 45 minutes. The ones with mics in over here are body-part-bartering expensive, so were not an option for me.

The custom in ear passives are a gazillion times better than any ear muff I have ever used in terms of ear protection and comfort. No more pooling sweat in the muffs, no sweat rotted muffs, no headaches from pressure, no issues wearing hats - in summer here we are anywhere between 33 -42 degrees with 80 - 100% humidity.
    I'm in the Limpopo Lowveld, so temperatures between 33 and 44 deg C are pretty common in summer. This is why I want to try and move away from electronic muffs. They get extremely hot after a while and the electronics get destroyed by all the perspiration reaching the PC boards.

User

What I am looking at is this: https://www.walkersgameear.com/razor-xv-3-0-headset/
    Then for extra protection (when needed) I can wear a set of comfy passive muffs over the plugs, without losing any hearing ability.

A less costly and possibly more comfy option is this: https://www.walkersgameear.com/rope-hearing-enhancer/
    The question is where are the mics situated? Possibly on the 2 casings on the cable. That should work well for me.

It should also not be too difficult to have custom moulded ear inserts made for both of these locally.

Has any body tried doing that?

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post

A less costly and possibly more comfy option is this: https://www.walkersgameear.com/rope-hearing-enhancer/
    The question is where are the mics situated? Possibly on the 2 casings on the cable. That should work well for me.

?
    Those two holes near the volume buttons would likely be the mics

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    What I am looking at is this:
    ?
    @A-R,
    Greetings again, may I ask how much in total (shipping etc.) will the WALKERS cost you ?

Have you considered these two brands/models rather ? It MIGHT work out cheaper because it's available in South Africa, not saying WALKERS are not good but I do believe MSA Sordin Supre Pro or 3M PELTOR SportTac are slightly better. Just to add it will be difficult to claim the warranty if it ships from US/EU.
    PS: I know WALKERS are available in SA it's just that the links are in USD.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Branden88 View Post
    @A-R,
    Greetings again, may I ask how much in total (shipping etc.) will the WALKERS cost you ?

Have you considered these two brands/models rather ? It MIGHT work out cheaper because it's available in South Africa, not saying WALKERS are not good but I do believe MSA Sordin Supre Pro or 3M PELTOR SportTac are slightly better. Just to add it will be difficult to claim the warranty if it ships from US/EU.
    PS: I know WALKERS are available in SA it's just that the links are in USD.
    Amazon quoted me around R1700 for the Walker's Razor Slim with Radio, delivered. They do have a return option, but not much of a warranty. Keep in mind they are only resellers. I'm not really a fan of the rocket man anyway. Not sure how Walker's themselves will handle warranty claims.
    The local stockist's are asking R1700 for the Razor Slim and another R1100 for the radio, just for comparison. And I have my doubts about their service in case of a warranty claim...

I am somewhat familiar with the MSA and Peltor products, and I do think they are excellent products, but I don't think they will serve my specific needs as well as the setup I described before.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast