Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Camping fridge/ freezer

I had a Waeco 80 that I bought second hand and used in my Landcruiser on long trips with extended periods on rough roads and tracks. It was used as a beer fridge when not in the vehicle and I sold it after 6 years to a mate who is still using it as a bar fridge. I have no idea how old it was when I bought it but its been in near continuous use for > 10 years since

When i got a 4x4 again I bought a double door 80ish litre Snomaster through a special deal that a skiboat club chairman friend made available to me. It has been in continuous use for 4 years now with the one side at full taps freezer setting and has been on 5 trips with a few hundred km of rough road/track. The solar charged remote is a real win and my only gripe is that the model I have is a taller one with a smaller footprint which makes it a little awkward in the canopy area of my bakkie. To address this I modified my homemade slider to have 200mm longer slides.

I'd buy either brand again without hesitation.

User

My Waeco is going on 7years now, goes with me on most biking trips and to all races. During summer it also works as a beer fridge.

Think I paid 5K for it new when takealot just started up and ill be really sad the day it retires as its replacement will probably cost twice as much.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I’d be entirely pissed off if mine did that.

Have you had it looked at?
    Actually only noticed it a few days ago. I had it on 4 so turned up to test. Found the water bottles frozen. Going to take a look later today. I’ve switched it off to defrost. Need to start Googling. Must be thermostat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would be hesitant about the Dometic. They have a bad reputation in the 4x4 community because of bad after sale support in SA.

I have Camp Master, Indel B and NL fridges and they all perform well. If I was only going to have one fridge and was buying today, I would probably be looking at a NL or snowmaster.

User

lekker, thanks for the comments.

no negative comments on NL or SM. they basically cost the same... so ok it helps me to make my choice.

User

Would ho with SM if you are transporting while running get the alloy case ones. I had a smaller plastic type and the compressor inside was knocking around even on not so harsh roads. I spoke to SM and they replaced it but advised to upgrade to the "toughened" alloy case kind as the internals are better braced for offroading etc.

It is a lot better but not 100% quite solved the knocking - note none of them broke ever but after buying it new I was not happy - the backup service was great and the upgrade was done at a really good deal.

User

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Actually only noticed it a few days ago. I had it on 4 so turned up to test. Found the water bottles frozen. Going to take a look later today. I’ve switched it off to defrost. Need to start Googling. Must be thermostat.

If you need to get it looked at by someone, try Fastener Warehouse in Brackenfell. In addition to selling bolts, they service camping fridges.

User

I've used Engel (60 litre) & National Luna (50-ish litres, stainless outer case)

The Engel is at least 3rd hand and has worked hard but still functions perfectly. The NL was slightly used when I got it but much newer.

I think the Engel uses a lot more power than the NL but this might be because it is old and no longer seals properly, even though I have replaced the sealing ring/gasket/whatever you wish to call it. It is also a lot heavier than the NL, and loading it is a 2 person job even when empty because of the shape. The most annoying thing for me about the Engel is that it doesn't take a 2L coke bottle standing up, it is wide & shallow, Ironically, smaller capacity Engels don't have the same problem. The shape of the NL is such that I can pick it up (empty) alone and it takes the 2L coke standing up. Both are robust & I would buy either brand again but I wouldn't buy the 60L model of Engel.

On my NL, one can't unplug the 12V power supply from the unit whereas one can with the Engel. It would be nice to be able to remove it and pack it out of the way when running the unit on 220V. I'm told this has changed but I haven't checked for myself.

Engels seem to have become frightfully expensive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    I've used Engel (60 litre) & National Luna (50-ish litres, stainless outer case)

The Engel is at least 3rd hand and has worked hard but still functions perfectly. The NL was slightly used when I got it but much newer.

I think the Engel uses a lot more power than the NL but this might be because it is old and no longer seals properly, even though I have replaced the sealing ring/gasket/whatever you wish to call it. It is also a lot heavier than the NL, and loading it is a 2 person job even when empty because of the shape. The most annoying thing for me about the Engel is that it doesn't take a 2L coke bottle standing up, it is wide & shallow, Ironically, smaller capacity Engels don't have the same problem. The shape of the NL is such that I can pick it up (empty) alone and it takes the 2L coke standing up. Both are robust & I would buy either brand again but I wouldn't buy the 60L model of Engel.

On my NL, one can't unplug the 12V power supply from the unit whereas one can with the Engel. It would be nice to be able to remove it and pack it out of the way when running the unit on 220V. I'm told this has changed but I haven't checked for myself.

Engels seem to have become frightfully expensive.
    I cut the 12volt wire close to the box, and fitted a brad harrison plug, thus if 12v not needed, I just disconnect the brad harrison plug..

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    If you need to get it looked at by someone, try Fastener Warehouse in Brackenfell. In addition to selling bolts, they service camping fridges.
    Aah, thanks for that BBT. I’m hoping it’s just a sensor. Will give them a call.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast