Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Scope for 30-06, for hunting and target

I think in that price range the Burris Fullfield 2 is also a contender.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I do hunt using a tactical scope (Leupold Mk4 6.5-20x50 with a ffp ART reticle), I also hunt with a 1.5-5x20, a 1.75-6x32 and a couple of 3-9x40 scopes on a daily basis. I also spend a lot of time guiding hunters. It is possible to learn to manage a tactical scope in the hunting field, however, your average hunter never manage to achieve competence with this type of scope. One of my greatest frustrations is watching a hunter fiddle with magnification, parallax and turrets set at the wrong yardage instead of just shooting the animal. More opportunities at game are lost by using tactical scopes for hunting than any other reason. For an experienced hunter/shooter, under certain conditions a ffp tactical scope is an excellent choice. If you have to ask for advice on a scope you are NOT one of those hunters. First master the basics with a basic, quality, scope. For the use suggested by the OP, I'd avoid tactical or even high powered hunting scopes like the plague.

The truth. But keep it simple when you are starting out.
    Thank you. And yes, I am a complete newbie to scopes, so I tlwant what is simple, but quality for the price, and easy to use. I know I am not ready for a 1st focal plane or tactical type scope yet.

Perhaps once I get competent with a simple scope, and put some time amd rounds down range, then I might consider a new scope, but not anytime soon. I know my limitations, and as you pointed out - I don't want to be in the field adjusting and fiddling with the scope, while the animal is ready for the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Adie View Post
    I have to agree with you on this. There are many different brands that all do great jobs. I have used both Leupold and Vortex scopes and can tell you that they are both comparatively good. Vortex do not make cheap scopes and sell them at expensive prices. I would look at it from the opposite end of the spectrum in that I believe it’s more because they ‘back’ their products. This doesn’t mean that some of them do not give hassles as is with every brand. Look at Leather Man pocket knives for example, sure they are rather expensive, but they are great quality and the company stands behind their products. Hence the reason for their 25 year warranty.
    Between the Vortex and Leupold, which is your first choice?

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I do hunt using a tactical scope (Leupold Mk4 6.5-20x50 with a ffp ART reticle), I also hunt with a 1.5-5x20, a 1.75-6x32 and a couple of 3-9x40 scopes on a daily basis. I also spend a lot of time guiding hunters. It is possible to learn to manage a tactical scope in the hunting field, however, your average hunter never manage to achieve competence with this type of scope. One of my greatest frustrations is watching a hunter fiddle with magnification, parallax and turrets set at the wrong yardage instead of just shooting the animal. More opportunities at game are lost by using tactical scopes for hunting than any other reason. For an experienced hunter/shooter, under certain conditions a ffp tactical scope is an excellent choice. If you have to ask for advice on a scope you are NOT one of those hunters. First master the basics with a basic, quality, scope. For the use suggested by the OP, I'd avoid tactical or even high powered hunting scopes like the plague.

The truth. But keep it simple when you are starting out.
    Do you have any suggestions or opinions on the scopes listed, or good alternatives? You have a lot of infield experience, which is something I'm after.

In your list majority of the magnification range if 3 to 9 which I think is bang on for your purposes. the 40mm aperture means scope will sit slightly lower than the 44mm (Crossfire) which I also prefer.

I think their glass would be very similiar and probably difficult to see any noticable difference. Lynx, Leupold and Vortex seem to have good after sales service here in RSA.

I bought Leupold VX2 3x9 x 40mm because my LGS had it in stock, it had fine duplex and the price was good. I don't think you would make a mistake between any of them.

I don't know the Bushnell so cannot comment there.

I would take Lynx over anything else.

Quality is excellent, the big plus is that they are local and turnaround time is a matter of days.

Even though Leupold has a no question warranty, it's going to take months to get it back, and then only through a dealer as scopes can't be shipped to you from the US.

For your specific requirement, I would suggest the fixed power Lynx LX2 8x56 G4i, with a BDC reticle. You don't particularly need to dial for 350 meters.

Glass quality is much more important than magnification. Buy the best quality glass for your budget. LX2 glass is excellent, the 56mm lens will give you amazing clarity.

Even when you shoot long range, high magnification is more of a handicap than a benefit. Good glass is king. Magnification is overrated.

I once bumped into a ko2m shooter at the range, he prefers to shoot it 10 power.

People also get sidetracked with multi-purpose scopes - IMO there is no such thing. A particular scope is for a particular rifle which is for a particular purpose. Otherwise you just have a mediocre tool for most applications.

User

It’s strange how people perceive things, for example warranty, what is the point of naming a lifetime warranty, do they drop a replacement to your exact location via drone or something?
    Because really, the only thing a scope must not do is break, and mine don’t break.
    So I will fit a Leupold every day of the week, I won’t fit a vortex for free, I have seen two new faulty ones with my own eyes, I want something that works here and now, the warranty just don’t bother me.
    Even if it takes a month to get a replacement if needs be then so what, nobody here except T-stone hunts every day, the rest of us cannot even get a freaking license approved or a barrel swop done.

Nobody is going to stop a hunt, quickly drive 500km to his gunshop to get his scope swopped out, no, the damn thing must not break in the first place, so that whole point is a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahomedy13 View Post
    Do you have any suggestions or opinions on the scopes listed, or good alternatives? You have a lot of infield experience, which is something I'm after.

From your list, the Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40 will be my first choice followed by the Lynx LX2 3-9x40 Plex.

If you can get a second hand Leupold VX2 3-9x40 or even better a VX-3 2.5-8x36 that will also be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    Glass quality is much more important than magnification.
    This can not be stressed enough.
    The only factor that is more important is mechanical reliability, in other words, your scope's ability to hold zero under field conditions.

User

You can't go wrong with the Leupold. Ask the 2x Eland, 3x Kudu, 2x Blouwildebees, 1x Zebra and 3x Impalas

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast