Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Scope for 30-06, for hunting and target

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    From your list, the Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40 will be my first choice followed by the Lynx LX2 3-9x40 Plex.

If you can get a second hand Leupold VX2 3-9x40 or even better a VX-3 2.5-8x36 that will also be a good choice.
    Thanks. I think my mind is 99% made here. S&O have the VX Freedom currently on sale, for R3999. I think I just got me a scope. Appreciate the help and explanations

Quote Originally Posted by Mahomedy13 View Post
    Thanks. I think my mind is 99% made here. S&O have the VX Freedom currently on sale, for R3999. I think I just got me a scope. Appreciate the help and explanations
    Enjoy your scope.

My next question is on the scope rings.

What to look for/to stay away from?

User

I got the Leupold rings as well. They seem like good quality and the price was also not bad. They are steel with good quality screws.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

User

Vortex is good at two things: marketing and their Razor scope line. Their cheap stuff is, well cheap. But they come with a lifeline warranty just like many other manufacturers out there. Vortex just feel the need to use that as their main selling point.

Warne mountain tech are excellent value, if you have a rail. Make sure the rings are the correct height for the scope objective lens to be at least a few mm off the barrel.

One of the factors in choosing rings is , for what use? Hunting rifles get carried a lot, target rifles get driven to a range. Every gram of weight added needs to be considered, versus the robustness of the Mount. Being resistant to bumps.

For a hunting rifle, I prefer solid mounts, not rails. With steel rings for strength. The rings should be aligned and lapped for secure scope fitting. With loctite on the screws, once set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tcbc View Post
    One of the factors in choosing rings is , for what use? Hunting rifles get carried a lot, target rifles get driven to a range. Every gram of weight added needs to be considered, versus the robustness of the Mount. Being resistant to bumps.

For a hunting rifle, I prefer solid mounts, not rails. With steel rings for strength. The rings should be aligned and lapped for secure scope fitting. With loctite on the screws, once set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ok, so I'm going with - hunting rifle. I rather keep it hunting focused, and use it on the range to just keep me competent with the firearm, at the different distances.

I use Lynx stud type bases and rings, Leupold dual dovetail bases and rings and Warne Maxima bases with qd and permanent rings.

All have advantages and disadvantages, all work well.

The Lynx bases (they are completely interchangeable with Thor stud bases and rings) are easy to mount and allow windage adjustment on the rings.

The Leupold dual dovetail bases can not be adjusted in any direction but they're really solid and reliable.

Warne Maxima bases allow quick removal and mounting of the scope (with quick detachable rings), this is only important if you want to remove and re-attach a scope in a hurry. I like them but don't think they are necessary for what you want. The vertically split Warne rings are fiddly things to work with when mounting the scope initially.

On a first hunting rifle, you can not go wrong with the Lynx stud type mounts.

I like rails on target rifles but hate them on hunting rifles, they make fast reloading difficult for me. I want to be able to top load my rifle's magazine quickly and without taking my eyes of the animal.

User

The Lynx mounting system is interesting. I wonder if there are similar available in the U.S.?

https://www.lynx.co.za/catalog/mount...s-lynx-optics/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4