Default Musgrave RSA serial number ranges.

Gents,

I am trying to figure out the serial number ranges of the Musgrave target rifles, what we call RSA rifles in the US.

Does anyone have a serial number list vs the dates of manufacture?

Anyone know when the stopped? I know the company stopped production of hunting rifles no later than 1996, but it seems the RSA rifles were not selling well prior, as a number of action bodies are still around supposedly from the 1992 time frame.

I have a collection of serial numbers around 60 in all but most are from the UK, pre 1974 and the 1974 Palma rifles. Post that it is kind of murky.

Thanks

User

Default Re: Musgrave RSA serial number ranges.

My understanding is that wasn't really a serial sequence system as Musgrave. that's just feom what I've read in the "Firearms Developed And Manufactured In South Africa" book.
    See if you can get hold of a copy, it's the authorative reference on all things to do with SA guns.

User

Default Re: Musgrave RSA serial number ranges.

I can comment on the RSA Sport range (early 90s).

The RSA Sport was a (single shot) hunting rifle, not a target rifle. Much lighter stock, not a bull barrel. The RSA Sport (of which I have a 7x64 example), is not covered in the book (I have the book). The RSA Sport did not come with iron sights. I bought mine in early 1994. The serial number of my rifle is 0021S.

There were two models in the RSA Sport range - the standard, and the deluxe. Mine is the standard model. The deluxe model had thicker bluing and checkering on the stock. I am not sure if the "S" in the number refers to the Standard edition, as I have nothing to compare it to.