Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Pattern 83 webbing - load out?

Hello everyone.

I'm an expat SA'n and have a collection of militaria, primary focus on SADF, RSF and NZDF. I have some Pattern 83 webbing which is in near-new condition. Anyway, my question is what the typical front line loadout would be, not just ammunition but in detail, tools, first aid, frags et cetera and where would they be located on the webbing?

Cheers
    TS

User

Default Re: Pattern 83 webbing - load out?

Anyone?

User

A friend of mine was an infantry section leader. I will ask him. Hopefully before Christmas.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    A friend of mine was an infantry section leader. I will ask him. Hopefully before Christmas.
    Cheers.

User

Inbox me with your e-mail addr, if I can find it I'll mail it you.

User

Load and placing would normally depend on what exactly you need to carry. A typical load-out would look like this:

Mag pouches: 6 Mags.
    Grenade pocket: Red or green smoke grenades (To signal position to chopper).
    Large side pockets: Rat pack(s) and/or 2 liter water bottle.
    Rear top pocket: A53 Radio, rat pack or 2 liter water..
    Rear bottom: 2 liter water or extra ammo.
    1 liter water bottle usually on belt.

User

Thanks for the detailed responses, it's much appreciated.

User

TS, there is no simple answer to your quest as patt 83 battle jackets were produced in a variety, probably 5 or more, variations depending on the role and mission of the wearer. A-R has given you a good generic breakdown but, eg. bike squad guys or Mech vs Mot formations had different set-up afaik. Mot had 60L frame pack and chest webbing with 1L water bottle/s on belt so they could dump their kit quickly and be very mobile with just ammo and water. Obviously the frame pack was not compatible with battle jackets.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

So... I was part of the 'pre-83' development phase of the battle jackets, chest webbings, and butterfly frame packs. They were rushed to us for frontline testing.

Of the 3 items I only still have my battle jacket (I got shot in my chest webbing and it didn't survive, although I did, and the butterfly frame coulkdn't carry the weights we were carrying and the X frame broke. It was discarded and I went back to my Karrimor 85l). I believe the eventual Pat 83 was a simplified version of the pre-83. My pre-83 is in a darker brown material.

It had all sorts of little details. A sleeve for a pencil flare, an internal map pouch, two pouches for M26 frag grenades as well as a pouch for a white phos, loops on the shoulder for radio handsets (even though we used headsets exclusively). It carried 12 35 round R4 magazines... yes... TWELVE... in addition to the 50 round mag on the rifle. You could also strap your bedroll to the back... in the same way as the Rhodesian battle jackets. All in all a great piece of kit. Mine is well used.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

I was unfortunate enough to be in the last intake in '93, in Potch of all places, but ending in 8SAI in Upington for my last 4 months. Using AR's template, what I can remember from back then was something like this:

Mag pouches: Magazines
    Grenade pocket: Teargas ('93 was a fun time with protests and riots)
    Large side pockets: Dixie canteens and cutlery, filled with a cloth not to rattle and rat pack.
    Large rear top pocket: I think it was a 2L water bottle. Always leaked.
    Rear bottom: Poncho
    Additional water bottle on belt.
    There were tabs with straps on the side of the large rear top pocket, we were told (but never saw or did it) that this could be used to carry extra 60mm mortar ammo or some such.

This was near 30 years ago, so I can be off on one or two things..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast