Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Pattern 83 webbing - load out?

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    I...
    Large side pockets: Dixie canteens and cutlery, filled with a cloth not to rattle and rat pack.
    Made me remember:

We used to pack the content of one rat pack into the dixie. Saved space and prevented rattles.

When carrying the back pack, we would sometimes strap the battle jacket over the pack for easy access.

User

How does one upload a pdf? I have a copy of the official sadf training manual.

User

Quote Originally Posted by curious george View Post
    How does one upload a pdf? I have a copy of the official sadf training manual.
    Probably best to use a 3rd party hosting site and share a download link

User

Some good info, thanks. Cripes, 12 x 35rd + 50rd = 470 rounds! Would that have been for each section member?

I thought that I'd include some pictures of the equipment I have so that any variations that may be present can be identified. I'll start off with the jacket itself which, according to what I can tell from the manual, is standard issue:

Following on from that, is the chest rig, which also appears from what I can tell, to be standard:

Penultimately, I'm hoping someone's able to please confirm what this is - is it para specific webbing called "Bateleur"? If so, what are the zip up pouches on the shoulder straps for? Looks like they could fit a field dressing?

And finally, pictures of the "grootsak" itself:

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Sierra View Post
    ... Looks like they could fit a field dressing?
    Indeed everyone carried 1 field dressing (bomverband) somewhere in the webbing. Usually in one of the "granade pouches".

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Sierra View Post
    And finally, pictures of the "grootsak" itself:

The bag with "H frame" came from the factory with only 2 wide cross straps (one at the bottom, being part of the waist strap) and one higher up (visible in pic).
    The narrow strapping was added by the users to increase the load-bearing surface, hence make it more comfy to carry with heavy loads. The pack usually weighed from 35 to 60kg, depending on mission or exercise needs.

Interesting piece of kit behind the bag there...

User

Is NZ one of those countries where you are allowed to take your work home with you? .... reminds me of those Israeli babes with their issue rifles in the night clubs.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Indeed everyone carried 1 field dressing (bomverband) somewhere in the webbing. Usually in one of the "granade pouches".

The bag with "H frame" came from the factory with only 2 wide cross straps (one at the bottom, being part of the waist strap) and one higher up (visible in pic).
    The narrow strapping was added by the users to increase the load-bearing surface, hence make it more comfy to carry with heavy loads. The pack usually weighed from 35 to 60kg, depending on mission or exercise needs.

Interesting piece of kit behind the bag there...

Thanks for the info, re kit in the background, just a spent M72 LAW. It's literally only a plastic / metal tube but it's still classed as a restricted weapon which can be possessed by collectors.

User

In addition to all the other kit carried in the battle jacket we used to carry 2 x 60mm HE for the Patmor hooked onto the loops on the shoulder straps.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Nope. The bomb bandage pocket in the front of your pants on the RHS.

We were privileged to have combat medics in immediate attendance (even on the small teams).

That's not an H frame pack. That's the butterfly frame (made by Three Spears - and the story behind THAT company is also interesting).
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    In addition to all the other kit carried in the battle jacket we used to carry 2 x 60mm HE for the Patmor hooked onto the loops on the shoulder straps.
    Yeah, or one or two RPG rockets with booster packs already installed... let me tell you about why that's not a great idea ;-{>}
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast