Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Considered a Leupold, Zeiss, then looked through a Burris

So I am in the market for a few scopes... I was and still am considering the Zeiss conquest V3 for a general hunting scope for some of rifles. I am also considering the Leupold VX3I / vx3hd as well as freedom 4-12 csd. That was until the sales rep gave me a Burris Fullfield e1 4.5 - 14.

Let me confess and be honest, yes I like the name and brands of Zeiss and Leupold better. I am probably inclined to name more than anything else. Maybe not for the Zeiss, but I wasn't impressed with the Leupold range I handled and shot with. On the other hand, the Burris, although once again, I actually wanted to tell the sale guy put it away, not interested, now I am. Its glass quality seemed a lot better than the L, same maybe a little behind the Zeiss. But it was half the price. I know the saying, buy once cry once, but jeez more than half the price and this is only for hunting rifles. The savings (which I am inclined to spend any way), I can then go and buy a dedicated Tikka/Howa for the PRS/longer range fun.

What is the feeling on the Burris?

User

Default Re: Considered a Leupold, Zeiss, then looked through a Burris

I have 2 x 3-9x40 and 2 x 4.5-14x40 Burris Fullfield II Ballistic Plex scopes.
    They work!
    Used from 223 to a 416 Rigby and holds its zero.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

"buy once, cry once"....

A Burris will not let you cry. Really. Have used different Burris scopes over the years on various rifles up to a .458 Lott and never had any issues.

Had the opportunity to use my new-to-me Fullfield 2 yesterday. Nothing to rave about, but I was happy with the clarity and the tracking. Not the finest of crosshairs but not as thick as some others I’ve seen either. Think it is a good blend for both hunting and shooting groups, but leaning more to a hunting scope.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

I was planning on getting scopes for medium sized calibers, but the fact that you all are happy with them on bigger calibers are really convincing....Now I am contemplating maybe putting one or two on the bigger guns as well... This might turn out to be interesting trip to the shop, to the safe to the range... Thanks for input so far!

User

From time to time the Leupolds come up secondhad at good prices but new the Burris is excellent value and I used the Fullfield II on a 308 with no problems. Back then I also compared it to the Leupold and the Burris had better glass.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

User

Burris scopes are generally well made and good value for your money. So nothing wrong with the brand and their products. Interestingly, they are owned by the Beretta group.

What does worry me a little, is the kind of after-sales service you can expect from them locally. Has anyone had experience with them?

I tend to recommend makes that have good local service. The best local service is most likely from Whylo, importers of Swarovski, Khales and Vortex. Ask anyone who needed it.

I have had issues with half of my Lynx and half of my Leupold scopes. Lynx was fixed and back on the rifle in 2 weeks. Leupold took 3 months, as they had go back to the factory in USA. That is good service in my book.

The worst service I have heard of was from Rudolph. I would never even consider one of them, especially since they advertise their BS "no questions asked" warranty.

I would not take the salesman's word on after-sales service, but rather use the forums to find users who had issues with their scopes of a specific make.

User

I have had issues with half of my Lynx and half of my Leupold scopes. Lynx was fixed and back on the rifle in 2 weeks.
    I had issues with 1 of my 2 Lynx scopes. I was really disappointed as it was brand new straight from shop.
    So first I sent an e-mail, no response, so after a few days I decided to call expecting a runaround.

Lady answered and said I can speak to the technical guy, Andre if I remember. Anyway I explained that the freewheel function on 1 turret did not freewheel. He said it's an easy fix, I was worried about taking the turret off and losing gas, he said it won't, just get rough with it, not enough lube was applied when they assembled.
    So I did, had to pull really had up on the turret, then worked it up and down a few times and it began to behave.
    He said I could send it back if I wanted to but I wanted to actually use it.

So unusual, but fixed with a telephone call to a technical scope chap.

Banned

I have a Burris 3-9x40 on my 375HH. I agree about the clarity of the lenses and have had no problems with zero. This is important for a hunting rig.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Burris scopes are generally well made and good value for your money. So nothing wrong with the brand and their products. Interestingly, they are owned by the Beretta group.

What does worry me a little, is the kind of after-sales service you can expect from them locally. Has anyone had experience with them?

I tend to recommend makes that have good local service. The best local service is most likely from Whylo, importers of Swarovski, Khales and Vortex. Ask anyone who needed it.

I have had issues with half of my Lynx and half of my Leupold scopes. Lynx was fixed and back on the rifle in 2 weeks. Leupold took 3 months, as they had go back to the factory in USA. That is good service in my book.

The worst service I have heard of was from Rudolph. I would never even consider one of them, especially since they advertise their BS "no questions asked" warranty.

I would not take the salesman's word on after-sales service, but rather use the forums to find users who had issues with their scopes of a specific make.
    My Outfitter had a dud Burris from the start. Unfortunately it happens. But it was replaced, no questions asked, with a better model actually.

As for Whylo, my Kahles Helia RF binoculars picked up Rangefinding issues, a few months past their 2 year warranty on the Electronics.
    So far its been gone for 8 weeks, as it needed to be shipped to Austria. R1800 on postage so far, and that's without them working on it/fixing it.
    I am hoping it is something quick and easy to repair as I cannot hunt without them.

Will let you know once I actually get feedback from them.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast