Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Monolithic Expanding Bullets, Weight and Velocity.

Mr T. Question time.

When mono's were brought onto the market one of the many advantages claimed was the fact that [in practically any caliber] a mono having 'bout 20% less weight than a cup and core will perform better. That is....being able to be driven at a higher velocity,flatter shooting,better terminal performance on game and will transform older,slower calibers into really efficient hunting choices.

Does this still hold true [eg. 130gr in 3006 220gr in 375 ect] or is there a change taking place in using mono's of traditional cup and core weights? If so.....why the change?

Asking because i have a couple of my rifles running low on their normal fare and am considering trying out mono's.
    In the early days with clients we had a couple of mono failures but i think these problems are sorted. We had a couple of mono's not expanding, a couple bending and just some issues that did not tie in with manufacturers claims.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Mr T. Question time.

When mono's were brought onto the market one of the many advantages claimed was the fact that [in practically any caliber] a mono having 'bout 20% less weight than a cup and core will perform better. That is....being able to be driven at a higher velocity,flatter shooting,better terminal performance on game and will transform older,slower calibers into really efficient hunting choices.

Does this still hold true [eg. 130gr in 3006 220gr in 375 ect] or is there a change taking place in using mono's of traditional cup and core weights? If so.....why the change?

Asking because i have a couple of my rifles running low on their normal fare and am considering trying out mono's.
    In the early days with clients we had a couple of mono failures but i think these problems are sorted. We had a couple of mono's not expanding, a couple bending and just some issues that did not tie in with manufacturers claims.
    I started using mono's in the mid to late 1990's when the original Barnes X became available. I did not stop using cup and core bullets back then and probably will never do so completely. Mono's are not magic bullets and I am not saying they can never fail. But for me, they offer more advantages than disadvantages. There has been a lot of improvements and developments in mono's in the past 25 years since those early Barnes X, Goodnell and GSC bullets and many of the early problems have been addressed.

I have been using, or are still using, mono's in 115-120gr 6.5mm (Swede and Creedmoor), 130-140gr 7x57, 165, 168 and 180gr .300 win mag, 250gr 9.3x62 and 250gr, 270gr and 300gr .375 H&H.

You can drop 15-20% in bullet weight and get the same penetration but with a flatter trajectory. As an example, I was a huge fan of the 220gr Nosler Partition in the .300 win mag but found that a 180gr Barnes TSX/Hornady GMX/Peregrine VLR4 could do everything the Partition could but shot considerably flatter.

If you like heavier slower mono's for bushveld hunting look at the Peregrine VRG-3 series. Due to the flat nose they are considerably shorter than most mono's. I have used the 300gr .375" bullet at 2450fps very successfully on warthog, kudu, gemsbok, blue wildebeest and buffalo. An important advantage that is seldom mentioned it that locally produced monolithic bullets (Peregrine, Ballistix and Kriek) are easily available. Unfortunately the same can not be said of imported bullets.

User

Thanks T. I value your opinion.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Thanks T. I value your opinion.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4