Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default Monolithic Expanding Bullets, Weight and Velocity.

So as not to hijack the Desert Fox's post in the reloading thread.

https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...33#post1440733

I have a lot of respect for driepootx's knowledge, experience and also his willingness to help fellow reloaders. But I, respectfully, do not agree with his statement that a 130gr expanding monolithic bullet is a better choice as a hunting bullet in the .308 win than a 150gr expanding mono bullet, as suggested by GS Customs.

While I have very little experience with the .308 win, I have used expanding mono bullets (Barnes X/ TSX/TTSX, Hornady GMX and Peregrine VRG4/VLR4) in a 1 in 10 twist .300 win mag,
    on a lot of game. I have tried these bullets in 150gr, 165gr and 180gr and have always gone back to the 180gr weight. Accuracy was equally good with the different weights and while penetration with the 150gr bullets was good enough for general hunting, the 180gr bullets performed better on large animals when thick bone and/or muscle was hit from challenging angles.

I have also used monolithic expanding bullets in the 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55 SE, 7x57, 9.3x62 and .375 H&H and have never experienced problems with accuracy or terminal performance at normal hunting ranges with heavier bullets, even with the 9.3x62 shooting a 250gr Hornady GMX at 2450fps or the .375 H&H shooting a 300gr Peregrine VRG3 at 2400 fps.

Maybe some other users of monolithic expanding bullets can share their experience here.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Monolithic Expanding Bullets, Weight and Velocity.

Following this, I have always favoured a heavier bullet for hunting, so 180gr in my 308, but I’ve never loaded mono metal Bullets for that calibre. But I’m assuming that the added weight will aid with penetration as much with mono’s as with bonded/cup & core?
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Currently use 175gr Balistix HunTac in my 300WM with fantastic results. Single digit ES with lovex S070 provides sub MOA groups.

I only push this bullet at 2900 ft/s and feel that there is no need to chase more speed as max hunting range for me is 400m in the plains. Here is a pic of a recovered bullet which entered the front (chest) of a BW slightly quartering to at 305m. Bullet was recovered under the skin near the hip bone on. Absolutely destroyed the lungs and BW made it maybe 20m. If I remember correctly, 99% bullet retention.

I have only ever recovered 2 bullets in this format, the rest have been complete pass throughs with quick expiration.

Personally I would always go heavier than lighter as monolithic bullets don't just break up.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Greekboi95 View Post
    Currently use 175gr Balistix HunTac in my 300WM with fantastic results. Single digit ES with lovex S070 provides sub MOA groups.

I only push this bullet at 2900 ft/s and feel that there is no need to chase more speed as max hunting range for me is 400m in the plains. Here is a pic of a recovered bullet which entered the front (chest) of a BW slightly quartering to at 305m. Bullet was recovered under the skin near the hip bone on. Absolutely destroyed the lungs and BW made it maybe 20m. If I remember correctly, 99% bullet retention.

I have only ever recovered 2 bullets in this format, the rest have been complete pass throughs with quick expiration.

Personally I would always go heavier than lighter as monolithic bullets don't just break up.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk
    Awesome!!

User

I have used the original GSC 130gn HP bullet in a 1:12" twist 308 shortly after Gerrie started making them. Mostly out of curiosity, but I was looking for a decent hunting bullet. They worked very well, so I thought that if the 130gn worked so well, the 150gn version would be better. It grouped very well, but penetration was actually less. That went against everything I thought I knew, so when I met Gerrie at a show I asked him. He gave a complicated explanation about gyroscopic stability factor and it's relation to bullet length. At the time it was all Greek to me. But the basic principle is that gyroscopic stability is related to bullet length, twist rate and a few other variables. Mono Cu bullets are about 30% longer than same weight lead core bullets, hence the need to drop the weights when switching to Cu, to get to a similar length and retain stability.

This gyroscopic stability is not only relevant to the flight of the bullet to the target, but also to the behaviour of the bullet after impact, inside the target. A normal Cu cup / Pb core bullet usually loses a few (30 - 50) % weight on impact, and also quickly lose a lot of length on impact. The reduction in length significantly increases the stability of the bullet inside the target, helping it to resist tumbling and veering off a straight line. A typical expanding mono Cu bullet loses almost no weight and only a little length. This does not help bullet stability as much as with a cup/core type, so more stability is needed to start with. That is why the 130gn GS bullet penetrates deeper than the 150gn version. It penetrates straight and with the mushroom pointing forward. The 150gn version often tumbles after impact and travels in an unpredictable way, often off the straight line.

I have also seen the same thing happen to other makes and types of mono Cu bullets, so this issue is not exclusive to GSC.

User

Here is my own experienced with monolithic bullets shot from a Remington 700 SPS 20" .308Win

I've used the 171gr VLR5 and 167gr VLR4. One for target and the other for hunting. The key advantage of those two bullets are that they shoot the same POI if you load them with the same COL and powder charge. The VLR5 being significantly cheaper I used that for practice with my rifle and the VLR4 was for hunting. Same POI and same trajectory over distances, so the practice translates perfectly from target to hunting. I found a node that consistently shot 0.3 to 0.4moa groups at a 100m with a MV of 2600fps from the 20" barrel. Very impressive indeed. I shot a couple of impala and a big BWB bull with those and the bullets did their job well. I was not able to recover any of them so I cannot comment on expansions, but judging from the size of the wound channels and exit holes, I'd say they expanded great.

I've now moved on to another product, which is the 165gr LRH kriek monolithic. With that bullet I managed to hit a node that shoots a one hole group at 100m with a MV of 2650fps from the 20" barrel. I have yet to test it on game, but judging from what I've seen from other people shooting other calibers with the same bullet, I'm pretty confident of how they will perform.

The general recommendation for a monolithic bullet is to go subtract 15% of the weight of a lead core bullet and pick a mono bullet closest to that number. The reason for that being that copper is less dense than lead, so the same diameter and length bullet will end up being lighter. Monolithic bullets handle higher MV better and some need that extra speed for reliable expansion.

I'm not going back to lead core bullets any time soon. I've seen the advantages that a monolithic bullet brings and it is absolutely the future of hunting bullets for general plains game IMO.

User

I shoot 150 Barnes TTSX in my 308 CZ 601 ,1 in 12 twist and they group under 1 inch.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

User

I have recovered quite a few 375cal 250gr Barnes TTSX bullets out of Buffalo.
    Bullets mostly look perfect, with weight retention 98% or so.
    I used the 250gr bullets as I was told to use one weight lower than a conventional cup and core bullet when comparing a mono. I couldn't find a 270gr at the time, so took the 250gr.
    I am shooting them at 2600fps.

The combination really works well for me, but I must admit, my first choice for Buffalo is hands down still a 300gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or Swift A Frame. I cannot prove or explain, but to me it just seems that they hit harder
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    I have recovered quite a few 375cal 250gr Barnes TTSX bullets out of Buffalo.
    Bullets mostly look perfect, with weight retention 98% or so.
    I used the 250gr bullets as I was told to use one weight lower than a conventional cup and core bullet when comparing a mono. I couldn't find a 270gr at the time, so took the 250gr.
    I am shooting them at 2600fps.

The combination really works well for me, but I must admit, my first choice for Buffalo is hands down still a 300gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or Swift A Frame. I cannot prove or explain, but to me it just seems that they hit harder
    I have recovered Barnes TSX 270gr and 300gr Peregrine VRG-3 .375 bullets from buffalo and while both worked, the Peregrines did penetrate better.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I have recovered Barnes TSX 270gr and 300gr Peregrine VRG-3 .375 bullets from buffalo and while both worked, the Peregrines did penetrate better.
    That would make sense as they are heavier and don't expand as much as the Barnes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast