Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    There are locally produced monolithic bullets available that are as good as or better than GSC, the only difference being that these companies offer much better and more reliable customer service than GSC ever did.
    Speaking of which. How does Peregrine compare to Barnes X? I can buy them here in Germany. They are priced competitively in 30 cal. For 9,3 they are just way to expensive.

User

Default Re: Monolithic Expanding Bullets, Weight and Velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Speaking of which. How does Peregrine compare to Barnes X? I can buy them here in Germany. They are priced competitively in 30 cal. For 9,3 they are just way to expensive.
    While the recovered bullets look different from each other, Barnes has that X shape and the Peregrine's have a more conventional looking mushroom shape, I could detect no difference in terminal performance.

I know this is a long thread from a year ago, but still has a lot info. I'm changing from Hornady GMX to Balistix due to availability and especially cost. Just today saw Hornady CX and Barnes TTSX is almost 3x the price of Balistix, and so far I've only heard good things of Balistix. So, with a my 30-06 the difference in speed for 175gr and 165gr is only about 30-50v/s. Because of the better bc of the 175gr it seems a better bullet to be also for longer shots, with a bit more momentum due to the mass difference. Now, my question, with this little difference in speed, but more terminal energy and momentum, will the 175gr open up more than the 165gr? Is it only the speed that cause the mushrooming, or what influence does the momentum/energy have?

User

The amount of mushrooming is primarily determined by the impact speed. A few tens fps either way isn't really going to make a difference.

User

There is a Facebook page that hunters post recovered bullets . From the findings shown on that page , it becomes clear that not all locally produced monolithic bullets perform equal and some struggle to expand even around 2300fps .There are some reports of delayed killing where it seems like the projectile did not expand and just went through. The most consistent performers are the ones that have some sort of a expansion initiation mechanism or have some design feature that assists it to expand.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    There is a Facebook page that hunters post recovered bullets . From the findings shown on that page , it becomes clear that not all locally produced monolithic bullets perform equal and some struggle to expand even around 2300fps .There are some reports of delayed killing where it seems like the projectile did not expand and just went through. The most consistent performers are the ones that have some sort of a expansion initiation mechanism or have some design feature that assists it to expand.
    Can you name the Face book group. ot sounds interesting.

User

Sorry missed that, ballistic studies.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9