Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Zastava 458 win mag

Great result! Guns that have your handwork in them are just better. Wish you many happy days in the bush with it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Sjoe superb work there! Lovely looking finish. Can you give a quick overview of the sanding / finishing process as you're making me think its time for the 243 stock to get some love?
    Basically did some YouTubing and followed the advice.

I didn’t need to take the original finish off the stock cause it didn’t really have one on

So i dry sanded it with 800 grain, and then wet sanded it with 800 grain and tru oil twice.

Wet sanded with 1200 grain probably around 10 times….

Then applied around 6 coats of tru oil every 2nd or 3rd day, once it had dried….

Voila.

I have an old brno stock that i will also be redoing. Ill take more photos each step and maybe document it a bit better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

The wet sanding steps really make a difference ito pore filling which not only looks better but also makes the stock more resistant to taking on moisture. For those not keen on a high gloss finish tru-oil can be dulled down with a light rub with 0000 steel wool. makes it look more like a hand rubbed London oil finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Roguemeister View Post
    Basically did some YouTubing and followed the advice.

I didn’t need to take the original finish off the stock cause it didn’t really have one on

So i dry sanded it with 800 grain, and then wet sanded it with 800 grain and tru oil twice.

Wet sanded with 1200 grain probably around 10 times….

Then applied around 6 coats of tru oil every 2nd or 3rd day, once it had dried….

Voila.

I have an old brno stock that i will also be redoing. Ill take more photos each step and maybe document it a bit better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shot, going to give this a bash!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2