Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Tyres for bakkie

Hi

looking for some opinions from experience.

choosing between 2 tyre options for my Hilux 2x4.
    doing 80% tar and 20% gravel or farm tracks...
    tyre size 265x65 R17

Bridgestone 694

or

General Grabber AT3

thanks,

Default Re: Tyres for bakkie

Bridgestone AT's or the General AT3

Pirelli Scorpion ATR, really quiet, long life and more importantly good grip in the wet.

User

I run a few hiluxs with that exact size on really poor mountain rock roads. The Bridgestone are much better option. As are the Firestone Destinations. The AT3s performed badly. Very soft Tyre. Lots of sidewall cuts and punctures.

User

I'm sure you've done your homework befire you narrowed it down to those 2 brands & models of tyre, so take my experience with the appropriate pinch of salt.

When I was in a similar situation a year ago I decided on the Grabbers in 255/70/16 for my Ranger, main reason being that we were about to do a trip to Botswana.

After all my homework & research I eventually didn't make the swap because I picked up a second hand set of Coopers that did the trick about a day before I was planning to go to the tyre shop.

When we got back from Botswana I went back to the original Continentals which were noticeably quieter and more comfortable ride than the Coopers and if I did the same trip again I think I wouldn't bother to make the swap but stick with the Contis and just take along an extra spare or 2.

I would say that my normal driving (excluding Botswana trip) is 80-90% tar and the rest gravel with about 1% off-road/4x4. I've done a few of the latter trips on the original Conti tyres, most notably a week in Richtersveld and haven't even had a puncture (yet ;-)). I did have a puncture with the Coopers on the tar just before I switched back to Contis.

Also have a look at the Dunlop AT3M tyres. Well priced, and with 80% Highway and urban driving they handle highway speeds, wet and dry braking brilliantly. WAAY Superior to the Continentals I had on before. SO put them on her 2009 3.0 CRDi BT50 and it's turned into a road-tamed beast especially in terms and braking and wet weather stability - and again, then cheapest of all the "name-brand" tyres.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat1607 View Post
    Also have a look at the Dunlop AT3M tyres. Well priced, and with 80% Highway and urban driving they handle highway speeds, wet and dry braking brilliantly. WAAY Superior to the Continentals I had on before. SO put them on her 2009 3.0 CRDi BT50 and it's turned into a road-tamed beast especially in terms and braking and wet weather stability - and again, then cheapest of all the "name-brand" tyres.
    A bit of a hi-jack as no one has mentioned the Wranglers. Is there a reason for this. They gave good mileage on similar on/off-road percentages as OP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

My question is like asking which cailber gun to buy!

SBB's comments got my attention...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Charl eland View Post
    My question is like asking which cailber gun to buy!

SBB's comments got my attention...
    Yes, and I have a set of General AT3 on my bakkie that have done 55 000KM without a single puncture or sidewall damage that also gets driven in rocky terrain fairly often in Eswatini. There are two specs for the AT3, a standard two ply sidewall version and the LT 3 ply sidewall version.

On my previous bakkie I used Firestone Destination. On neither set fitted were the tyres round and balancing was a nightmare. My dad changed from Bridgestone Dueler D694 on his Suzuki GV to Pirelli Scorpion ATR because he had endless issues with punctures and he is very happy with the Pirelli's performance.

User

Was about to make a similar comment why wranglers aren't mentioned.
    Specially with the kevlar sidewall. price tag is also not something to be scared of and they perform well
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    A bit of a hi-jack as no one has mentioned the Wranglers. Is there a reason for this. They gave good mileage on similar on/off-road percentages as OP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast