Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    User

Default Re: Tyres for bakkie

Absolutely no input of value over here from me. But who knew 4x4 tyre discussions would be this indept hahaha.
    OP is either more torn between options or knows exactly what he wants now.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ocali View Post
    Absolutely no input of value over here from me. But who knew 4x4 tyre discussions would be this indept hahaha.
    OP is either more torn between options or knows exactly what he wants now.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
    Yeah this topic really got some traction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I have put so far 25000km on the grabbers 265/70/17LT, I believe the LT's have a stronger side wall. No issues on myside and I do 50/50 driving with it.Tyre pressures play a huge role and how aggressive your driving is. I previously had Goodyear duratracs on, very impressive tyre got 100 000km on them. They handle well on tar, look great and doesn't damage your fuel economy, the price on them are very competitive for what you getting.Downside after 60 000km the humming noise became louder as its a 50/50 hybrid tyre.

From a price point and what you intend on using them for the Grabbers tick the box.

User

Is it worth piggy backing here regarding tyre pressures for on and off road driving? Or open a new thread?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had BFGs which came with my Hilux and they gave great mileage (Estimated at 110k kms - 90% tar / 10% dirt) but I have to say found them horrible in the wet. Interesting point about heavier vehicles and exercising them. Changed them to Pirellis Scorpion anf really enjoyed these. Much better wet driving which was a big factor and quieter. Sol Hilux with them on so not sure how they've handled.

On the Paj, just changed to GY Wranglers AT with the Kevlar. Too early to give any feedback but I like the tyre and the price was very good.

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    Aren't tyres the same as dressing for an occasion ?
    You are kidding, right ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    I had BFGs which came with my Hilux and they gave great mileage (Estimated at 110k kms - 90% tar / 10% dirt) but I have to say found them horrible in the wet. Interesting point about heavier vehicles and exercising them. Changed them to Pirellis Scorpion anf really enjoyed these. Much better wet driving which was a big factor and quieter. Sol Hilux with them on so not sure how they've handled.

On the Paj, just changed to GY Wranglers AT with the Kevlar. Too early to give any feedback but I like the tyre and the price was very good.
    I also have BFGs on my bakkie and I don't like them in the wet. Want to try the Scorpion AT+ next also. Price is very good.

User

I have Dunlop Grandtrek AT3G on my Fortuner and very happy with them.

User

I had General Grabbers AT on my Hilux (70 tar 30 gravel) and was not impressed with them. Don’t recall if they were the LT version or not but they didn’t give the mileage I’d been hoping for. Previously I had the original Grabbers on a Ranger and they were great. Moved to Maxxis Razor AT’s on the Hilux now.

User

Between work and play vehicles I have tested Cooper Discoverer AT#'s , Firestone Destination, General Grabber AT#, Dunlop AT3Gm (the 3ply version), Dunlop Grantrek AT22 and Apollo Apterra's over the Last 2 years.

The best traction on both hard surfaces and Dunes I got from the Grabbers, but also the lowest mileage and lost a tire to a sidewall cut.
    The most overrated while still a good tire was the Coopers.
    The strongest of the tyres is the AT3Gm's, Ill take on any obstacle with them, but they are heavy and increase fuel consumption.
    The Destinations were surprisingly good in rough terrain, I put them through hell and they held up.
    The AT22's good all rounders, the casings are strong and I crossed the Namib with them and several rough offroad trails and they are still going strong. I did get a sharp rock drill through the tread area on one.
    The Apterras are doing very well, good all rounders and for the price I might be going over to them completely.

Tires that I tested that didnt hold up
    Deulers, Wranglers(Not the newer kevlar), Firestone ATX, Hankook, Continental contact 4x4, Wildernes, Trackgrips and some i cannot remember.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7