Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Carrying while hiking

I'm going on my first hiking trip in a long time.

What is the best method to carry my EDC while also having a rucksack on my back?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Default Re: Carrying while hiking

I’m not across the newest holsters and methods. What I settled on was appendix, outside the waistband. So use your usual AIWB rig but let it sit between your pants and the belt, and use your shirt to cover the whole thing.

Strong side carry didn’t work due to the backpack’s waist strap.

Had to play around on a few practice hikes to get it set up correctly.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I’m not across the newest holsters and methods. What I settled on was appendix, outside the waistband. So use your usual AIWB rig but let it sit between your pants and the belt, and use your shirt to cover the whole thing.

Strong side carry didn’t work due to the backpack’s waist strap.

Had to play around on a few practice hikes to get it set up correctly.
    why OWB?

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    why OWB?
    If I recall correctly it was a combination of sweat and chafing, and the effect of the pack’s waist strap on how the holster dug into my groin.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

I use a sling bag to carry my GP100 4” barrel .357 mag. It can be used in conjunction with a backpack and adjusted where you have near-instant access.
    I’d like to order myself a nice chest rig each for that and my .41 mag Blackhawk, but they are spendy and I am married.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    If I recall correctly it was a combination of sweat and chafing, and the effect of the pack’s waist strap on how the holster dug into my groin.
    Ah... I did not consider te pack's waist support

Quote Originally Posted by dammitgriff View Post
    I use a sling bag to carry my GP100 4” barrel .357 mag. It can be used in conjunction with a backpack and adjusted where you have near-instant access.
    I’d like to order myself a nice chest rig each for that and my .41 mag Blackhawk, but they are spendy and I am married.
    What sling bag are you using? I have tried a Falco pouch (mine came without the paddle), but access is slow at best.

User

Did otter trail in earlier this year, carried G19 Appendix like normal. Waist Strap was slightly above , test to see if it works with your pack. Another member on a previous hike resorted to OWB with shirt over as the waist strap hindered the draw. If there are river crossings plan for that as well in your dry bag.

User

Default Carrying while hiking

Quote Originally Posted by Tacet View Post
    What sling bag are you using? I have tried a Falco pouch (mine came without the paddle), but access is slow at best.
    Similar to these, the one I use is a bit smaller and has a reinforced pouch between the main compartment and the body side. The 4” GP100 tucks neatly into this. I found it ideal when carrying a rifle slung over my shoulder, and adjusting the position of the bag beside me on the offhand side allowed a cross-draw, if necessary. The bag can hold a standard 1L water bottle and some field rations, a small FAK, folding knife, etc… it’s a great day pack for hunting/hiking here in Florida.

User

Depending on the firearm, for my little 5 shot LCR I use a belly band from gun tactics/sniper and that is my go to easy draw and comfortable costed about R500.
    For longer isolated hikes then I carry my G19, I use a sling bag from takealot (10L), I found it personally difficult to carry AIWB from a comfort point on a hike compared to a trail walk.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast