Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Padawan - Knife Suggestions

Hey everyone,
    New to knives so bare with me :)

Im looking to get two knives, a fixed blade and a folding knife.
    The purpose/use of the knives? A "survival" knife. So something I can take into the middle of nowhere and be able to do 'everything' with. From chopping to skinning, etc.

Brand? Well, Im not a brand-ho - but I like to pay for quality when its worth it :)

Like I said, Im not clued up in this area - but after a little bit of research - I am inclined to go with:
    - Benchmade
    - Cold Steel
    - Spyderco

Budget? Hmm, obviously I dont want to just burn money - but for both knives? R5k in total if Im getting what I pay for :)

Default Re: Padawan - Knife Suggestions

The Benchmade 550HG Griptilian is a good hiking and every day carry knife. Fixed blade to do EVERYTHING WITH? well......how good is your training? There are people that can survive on a small swiss army knife alone. Some can even do with just a simple Mora clipper. In a survival situation you have to have the knowledge to survive.

I recommend you look into ESEE knives developed by people that do jungle training. The dealer in South Africa contact detail can be found here and have a look at the knives, ESEE 3, 4 etc. The one featured here is the Izula.

http://www.ratcutlery.co.za/index.ph...id=11&Itemid=3

A good fixed blade is always better then a folder. If you want bang for the buck. Cold Steel is good. But if you want higher end materials, meaning better alloy for higher edge retention and better performance look into Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw and Buck to name a few. Expect to pay from R1000 up for a good qaulity folder. The better the materials and better the fit and finish of a knife the higher the price because the more time consuming it is to make. Look into some of our custom makers. If you want contact details send me a pm. Here is Gareth Bull: War Lock featuring a 7mm pivot pin, framelock. Price is about R2000. The bottom knife is a Chris Reeve Insingo Retail here is R4600 about.

SA hunter

Burger knives

Benchmade 550hg

At the end you are spoiled for choice but quality costs. Some knives are made better then others. All good, just different and you have to decide what you want to buy, but there are differences in materials. I advice to read this related to steel. http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml

A knife made from AUS8A will diffinatly have different properties then a knife using D2, CPM S30V etc. At least know something, because if you are going into a shop a salesman can BS you into buying crap. I have seen it and it was embarrassing when a salesperson states a knife made using AUS8A will perform better then a knife using S90V. Yes it is easier to sharpen, wont chip but role, but S90V will have a far greater edge retention and performance then AUS.

ps. Dont think a knife worth R4000 is not getting used. Cut open the capsule holding CV joint grease on the car using my Chris Reeve

Thanks for the suggestions :)

I was looking into the Spyderco Chinook (fold) and the Spyderco Warrior (fixed). Other ones that also caught my eye were the Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter (fold) and Cold Steel Trail Master (fixed - but I think this thing's blade is too long to be legal?).

For me Spyderco does better knives then Cold Steel. Personal Preferences. Your folding knives definitely has a degree of belly, ideal for skinning. Spyderco you are spoiled for choice in steel alloys. Cold Steel mainly uses AUS8 A or VG-1. Look into the Spyderco Stretch. It comes in VG-10 (I do not know if it is the same as the VG1 CS uses, but VG10 will outperform AUS8A in my experiences). You can find the Stretch in ZDP 189 as well. The Stretch was designed as a hunting knife.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=422
    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=432
    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=278

The Manix is also a great highly regarded knife.

Look at this guys youtube channel. He features some of the best knives out there.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SolosKnifeReviews#g/u

He talks about the Stretch, Manix, Chris Reeve etc. good to listen to if you want some opinions on knives.

H-1 steel is a different animal. It will not rust. It is a truly stainless steel but the edge will dull faster then high carbon, high carbon steels will rust as on the trail master, that is why ESEE uses a coating on their blades.

IMO the warrior looks great, but is not as practical for what I have been thought on how to survive. ESEE knives or similar is more my preference, yours can differ, but ESEE has a great warranty on their knives!

As for size and legal carry length, check your pm.

So I think Ive decided!
    I know Spyderco is a name I can trust, and Cold Steel has gotten some bad rep in the past (for few reasons I can find why). But their new range is really getting good reviews and I think Im going to fall that way.
    I have decided to get the Cold Steel Recon 1 and the Cold Steel Trail Master San Mai III. I agree on the fact that the warrior isnt practical for what I want to use it for - however, it just looks so awesome, Im going to get that as well - just so it can sit and look pretty somewhere :P

ESEE also looked good - their ESEE-6 seems like a great knife - but not big enough I think. Their Junglas also looks good - but I ended up deciding on the Trail Master. I think I might invest in an ESEE-6 down the line though, have to start somewhere though :P

Thanks for the suggestions marthinus! :)

Cool Re: Padawan - Knife Suggestions

I agree with everything that Marthinus said and Marthinus definitely knows his stuff, but perhaps I can add a little more advice for what it's worth.

When it comes to practical knives for the bush, size and shape are issues.....but not in the way you think. With knives, bigger isn't always better. I don't advocate a fixed blade that is too small, but one that is too big is no good either. Marthinus's recommendation of ESEE knives is spot on, and I would put my money on an ESEE 4. For me a good survival knife is between 4 and 6 inches. In my experience anything bigger is too heavy; is not well suited to the actual tasks you will be performing (making fire, whittling shelter sticks, preparing food, opening packets, etc.); and usually attracts derisory comments from your fellow outdoorsmen. One thing I have never understood is 'chopping' with a knife....if you need to cut big stuff down, get an axe, or one of those folding gardening saws.

As for shape - blade geometry is a real consideration (along with steel type and hardness of course). Make sure your blade has a decent spine to make it strong, but also look to its grind (I prefer full flat or even hollow) so that you can touch up the edge in the field with a river stone if you need to. Too obtuse an angle on the edge and you are going to be stuck with blunt knife in the sticks that you can't sharpen.

Lastly, can I recommend that you look at some local custom makers before pullng the trigger on that Cold Steel. Getting a nice local blade supports our SA based knife makers, and it also offers you a choice of some very high quality cultery that is definitely 'good-to-go' for the field. You can pick up a SA made hand-forged high carbon (5160, 52100, O1, 1070, etc, etc) hunter/camp knife for the same price as your Cold Steel, and if it came to a choice between a hand forged custom knife and a mid-range production knife like Cold Steel, I would reach for the former without hesitation.

As Marthinus said....'opinions for you to consider...'

Seneschal

You really brought things up that I completely forgot about! Edge geometry affects so much, but that is becoming technical and I do not have the knowledge on all the different grinds to comment on them but you are right about it!

SupaMonkey.

The new Recon one with the Tri-Ad lock is damn good value for the price. I wish there would be more knives available with it but alas, CS got the patent.....damn......

As for the CS fixed blade. If you like it then go for it! I made my own little knife for bushcraft chores to practice with and beat on. I just sharpen it on a home made sharpener. This knife combined with a machete or an axe, one can do a lot with.

Here is the knife

Here is the machete
    Keep in mind that Lasher actually makes Cold Steel Machetes! I only recently found that out!
    Before I sharpen a convex edge on it

After

Here is a vid I made

http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk.../0/9EbCH1XDwlI

The funny thing is this machete costs R50. Decent quality and the only reason I bought it is because I am refurbishing my axe (convexing the edge, new handle and cleaning the head) and I was impressed. It wont split ironwood (hardehout) but in the bush this can be used to gather smaller sticks to form a bed coal for you to burn larger wood.

If you would like a smaller fixed blade knife look at Herbst

http://www.herbst.co.za/index.php?op...=138&Itemid=74

One of the many SA makers.

Also as I mentioned knowledge....here is a great start on reading on how to make fire and all sorts of things. http://www.drum-runners.com/index_orig.html

Enjoy your knives!

hehe, now you guys are making me think twice! Im gonna end up becoming a knife collecter before I even get started!
    Really want the ESEE 6 (or maybe 5) now. Just visited the ESEE site and now they also have announced their ESEE Folder which is coming out +- in December which looks very nice as well (prettty high MSRP though).

Another thing to keep in mind is that I am gonna try get someone to bring these over to me. So for example, knifecenter.com sells the Cold Steel Recon 1 for 63 U$D. This works out to about R440 (* 7 to the ZAR) which I think is pretty good value for money. Same goes for all the knives Ive mentioned. I see some local sites selling the Recon 1 for R1000+ and I am not even sure thats the 2010 version with Triad lock.

Anyway, so I might end up going for broke and getting like 5 knives :P ARGH!

Knives aside - I really want to go for a survival course (no point in having all the tools with no experience). Knowledge is king and knowing what plants you can eat, and then the basic survival knowledge like fire making, water filtering - etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaMonkey View Post
    hehe, now you guys are making me think twice! Im gonna end up becoming a knife collecter before I even get started!
    Really want the ESEE 6 (or maybe 5) now. Just visited the ESEE site and now they also have announced their ESEE Folder which is coming out +- in December which looks very nice as well (prettty high MSRP though).

Another thing to keep in mind is that I am gonna try get someone to bring these over to me. So for example, knifecenter.com sells the Cold Steel Recon 1 for 63 U$D. This works out to about R440 (* 7 to the ZAR) which I think is pretty good value for money. Same goes for all the knives Ive mentioned. I see some local sites selling the Recon 1 for R1000+ and I am not even sure thats the 2010 version with Triad lock.

Anyway, so I might end up going for broke and getting like 5 knives :P ARGH!

Knives aside - I really want to go for a survival course (no point in having all the tools with no experience). Knowledge is king and knowing what plants you can eat, and then the basic survival knowledge like fire making, water filtering - etc.

Buying the knives direct from overseas is cheaper, especially if someone brings it over for you, but importing a knife like that you might not save all that much, because you have a lot of markup (20% of value) + vat (14 % on the marked up price) + customs duty + shipping (insured, traceable).

Hi Supamonkey.......knives are addictive, and there is no known antidote!! :-)

In reality you are very likely to end up buying a couple of knives over time anyway. My suggestion is always go for the best knives that money can buy, even if they seem expensive at the time, and you will never regret it. Buffalo Hump (also on these forums) would add that it is best to buy a well known name, and the best steel, and you will always stand a good chance of selling your knives again, should you decide to make way for new ones as you progress.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast