Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Barrel threading in the Western Cape

Hi everyone

I have a Voere 30-06 that I want to put a suppressor on. I have been looking for someone to do the threading for me in the Somerset West / Cape Winelands region, however all of my local shops seem to be asking R2000+ for threading and making a cap/protector.

I may be naive or misinformed, but I believe that this is twice or three times the price that smiths in JHB are asking - almost makes it worth it to courier the firearm up, get the work done and send it back down again.

I’ve already spoken to the gents on-site at S&O Stellenbosch, and it would be cheaper to go through my local gun store and have them send it out to whoever their gunsmithing outsource partner is.

I don’t mind paying fair value for good work, but I’m hoping that someone will be able to direct me to a gunsmith that can do the work without all of the middle man fees.

Thanks in advance

User

Default Re: Barrel threading in the Western Cape

User

Will second Geoffrey. His workshop is in the Wildman store, Cape Gate Lifestyle centre. I think he charges R1000 for thread and cap. Best to phone and book an appointment/slot for it to be done.

also try Jonker and Sons gunsmith in parow 082 923 4996. I've bought a silencer from them and they checked out my rifle, was very happy with them and going to take my next rifle there for threading

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    Will second Geoffrey. His workshop is in the Wildman store, Cape Gate Lifestyle centre. I think he charges R1000 for thread and cap. Best to phone and book an appointment/slot for it to be done.
    I've never had this work done so have no experience but am surprised that you can get it for that. Just thinking of the hourly rate that would equate to it doesn't make it sound like an enormously lucrative business.

Only two people.

Alfred at the old Bullet Central they have new company name. But they are just outside Durbanville.

And Petrus Jonker and Seuns.

Not in a million years will I second Guncraft. I would rather use Duct tape to attach something to my rifle.

Had a Ruger Mark 4 there. Never again.

User

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.watson View Post
    also try Jonker and Sons gunsmith in parow 082 923 4996. I've bought a silencer from them and they checked out my rifle, was very happy with them and going to take my next rifle there for threading
    Agreed, Jonker en seuns. Dont throw away Cape Guns and Ammunition, had great service from them. Both in Bellville area

User

Thumbs up Re: Barrel threading in the Western Cape

[QUOTE=shooty;1441397]Only two people.

And Petrus Jonker and seuns

My go to gunsmith for any and all top quality workmanship

User

Thank you for your suggestions everyone

I spoke to Guncraft and they quoted 1350 for the threading and cap with a 1-1.5 week lead time.

I gave Jonker and sons a call as well based on your recommendations. They ask 1500 including a service, but they are unfortunately closed for new business until mid January. They can also do a silencer that doesn’t need a shoulder for 2800 which sounds tempting.

Mods, please edit if the commercial info is out of line.

Decisions, decisions…

User

If you ever come to the Deep South check out John’s work at False Bay. A bit far from Somerset West though. He just did a .22 for me. Very happy with the work done. He did have to chop and lop a front sight first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast