Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default So what the actual process?

Recently met with the DFO and handed in all the paperwork for new competencies.

What needs to happen until im able to walk into the shop and pick up my FA?

Thanks in advance

User

Default Re: So what the actual process?

Wait for competence to be approved and fetch a copy from DFO
    Select and purchase fire arm of your dreams & get requisite paper work from dealer
    Compile and submit application forms, supporting paperwork and motivation (some dealers do motivations at a discount or for free)
    Get a slot with your DFO to submit
    Wait.
    Wait some more.
    Receive SMS with approval notification, if you are lucky.
    Wait for card to be printed.
    Fetch card and jeet to dealer to fetch dusty, lonely fire arm.

User

@GunOrNot,

Greetings just a FYI if you have the funds available now for it, there are some shops that will allow you to purchase the FA at the discounted price with all the “Black Friday” etc. Then obviously keep it in storage until you have your valid license card to collect the FA.

Now what happens is your competencies will make its way through the system and get approved, hopefully after 6 months. FYI you can go back in about 4 to 6 weeks and get a reference number from your local DFO. Then with that reference number you would be able to track the progress of your competency applications online, via this website https://www.saps.gov.za/services/fir...us_enquiry.php

There is also a free app that you can download on your phone that does the same thing. Just search your app store for Where's My App - SAPS Gun Licence & Competency

After receiving your competency, which your local DFO will print out for you (FYI I laminated mine) now you can go to your gun shop, purchase the FA, the Gun shop will fill in the necessary info on the application. https://www.saps.gov.za/services/fla...glish/e271.pdf

Thereafter you go back to your local DFO submit your application for license to possess a firearm with your motivation attached. Then the same as the competency it will go through the system and get approved. Then unfortunately you will have to wait until your white license card is printed, after collecting the card from your local DFO, you are then allowed to fetch your FA at the Gun shop. FYI you can track your license application as well.

All the best

in simple. From the time you hand in your competency to the time you can legal take your firearm home from the shop could be as much as 14 months.

If you want you can buy the firearm now with all the specials and a lot of shops wont' charge storage provided you do all the paper work.

Wait 6 months for your competency and then another6-8 months for your license

What firearm are you looking for?

User

Buy the Firearm now.

While you are waiting for competency, start compiling a file with everything required for the license application.
    Get a safe put in as well, as you will need photos of this bolted down to submit with your license application. (Make sure it complies with regulations.)

Then when your competency arrives, you are ready to roll on the same day with your Firearm application.

May the force be with you ...

Ja... Not to demoralise you but mine took about 14 months... Start to finish.. That's going to the range... Shooting.. Applying for competency... Then buying the weapon and applying for licence... Then approval and then another 6 weeks for licence... It really is a long road but I told myself it would be 6 months for competency and the same for licence... It's best to accept that it's a slow process... I'm about to apply for a second gun now..it's a plus that I live in a small town and don't have to hassle getting appointments with the DFO... Seems a lot of time can be lost here...

Just be aware of the time period the shop will hold your weapon while the paperwork is in process...to me it should be a 1yr minimum before you are charged.

Beat of luck
    Stay positive...

User

I'm in a similar position/ predicament. Comp application submitted.
    I'm going to take advantage of the current sales available. Buy and have it dealer stocked with preferred dealer. This would incur storage fees from the getgo. So way that out I guess.

All the best and goodluck

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

User

Thanks for the feedback guys. Thought we (wife and I) were done with the DFO.

What happens if we purchase firearms before receiving competencies and the applications get denied? If so is it easy to appeal?

Likewise with applications to posses firearms. Does it happen that they are rejected?

FYI -We've got no convictions of any sort.

Any other good sites to shop around on like Habitat Africa and Safari Outdoor? Hunting for a Black Friday special.

When buying second hand FA's when does a round count matter or is it relevant to the make and model for example:
    Sell Ford Ranger at 100000km - Sell Toyota Hilux (maybe) at 10000000000000000000km haha

Im applying under section 16 and wifey section 13

My FA Wishlist:

Ruger Hawkeye Hunter or Remington Model 700 CDL SF - 6.5mm Creedmoor
    Ruger Guide Gun 338
    Ruger American Rimfire Target 8348
    S&W M&P 15 Sport II OR
    Glock 19
    Remington V3 Tactical or Mossberg 500

Wife
    Glock G43

Im in this for the long haul.

wildmans cape town have the ruger 6.5 hawkeye marked down from 25k to under 10k

User

Quote Originally Posted by glenn.watson View Post
    wildmans cape town have the ruger 6.5 hawkeye marked down from 25k to under 10k
    Thank you brother

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast