Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default AR OPTIONS? Not many choices it seems...

Hi guys,

This has been asked before but I would really like as many opinions as possible from where we stand today and what is available now in 2022.

I am looking for a 16" to 18" barrel AR in either 7.62 or 5.56 now I have reasons why I would prefer 7.62 for some functions and reasons why I would also like a 5.56 but both would need to fulfill both criteria.

- Varmint hunting and crop protection etc.
    - Long range fun
    - 3gun also really interests me
    - That 1 does it all AR

So with the criteria above I considered the following options in the price brackets. (excluding extras so only the AR)

+- R20000ish
    - Ruger 556
    - M&P Sport II

+- R35000
    - Springfield Saint Edge
    - not sure what else is available

R40K+++

- DDM4 V7 5.56
    -Most AR10 or 7.62 goes here.

What else is really good value and better than the options listed in any of the brackets? It does not seem one can "build an AR" here without first buying a decent starting AR. That said I like fitting custom stuff which would improve it if worthwhile.
    Currently I am leaning toward a M&P Sport II that I could mod as I go or otherwise just go b@lls deep and get a DDM4 V7 as the polar opposites but still quality products.

User

Default Re: AR OPTIONS? Not many choices it seems...

Miles out of my lane with respect to knowledge or experience here but I'd look over the Truvelo ARs. The company has a long history of very high quality work so I'd be surprised to find that their AR offering was shit.

User

Look at Troy as well. I have the A4 SPC and it is a awesome gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I have the Savage Recon MSR15 that I got from S&O for R29k - though that was in 2019. Quality wise it is ahead of the SW and Ruger, but slightly more expensive. I really love it.

User

I went the M&P way. (Yet to fire a shot)

With 7k Timney
    Wider charge handle
    Full length forened
    Adjustable gas block
    Muzzle break
    Upgraded telescopic stock
    Upgraded grip

Im half way between 30-35k spent. I probably could've gone the Savage way but even though its better specced out the box you will still change half the things and more and end up paying a fortune fully kitted.

If I could do it over i would sell to try and cover. Work out a budget for total project and see that if you buy the DDM4 V7 or similar, you can just slap on a scope and be done.

User

Lots of options, look at your purpose and budget. You can kit out a cheap rifle and still get away with less than an expensive rifle.

Decide on budget, decide on AR10 vs AR 15, look at what is available at shops and not generally in the market from people think. To really know what is available you need to contact the shops unfortunately.

I would like a custom build that is more accurate but in SA you can rather buy a bolt action and cheaper AR for the price of a super accurate AR.

The M&P15 is always a good option in the lower bracket.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
    Lots of options, look at your purpose and budget. You can kit out a cheap rifle and still get away with less than an expensive rifle.

Decide on budget, decide on AR10 vs AR 15, look at what is available at shops and not generally in the market from people think. To really know what is available you need to contact the shops unfortunately.

I would like a custom build that is more accurate but in SA you can rather buy a bolt action and cheaper AR for the price of a super accurate AR.

The M&P15 is always a good option in the lower bracket.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    That is a nice M&P. Looks like DD stock. I hear you on visiting the shops and checking out what they have. Unfortunately there is a lot of shops and it seem like lucky dip on who sells what or even has stock for that matter.

Any suggestions on where you could see a fair collection or just more than the ruger, m&p? seems that is all that is very available in and around GP that is decent bang for buck and not overpriced for relative little added quality?

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

My AR-15 used for about the same purposes. Its a Ruger AR 556. Same price class as M&P. I have a few other Ruger firearms also, so are a bit of a Ruger fan. Between the two, buy what you like. My Ruger serves me well.

User

I forgot also that being lefty a full lefty would be awesome but otherwise I would need to convert a lot to full ambi with settling for a RH ejecting upper.

needle in a haystack I suppose on LH ARs = that is why I said I would probably be changing a lot anyway but I need the barrel and bolt etc to be of good quality so they dont need changing etc.

User

Quote Originally Posted by S14Phoenix View Post
    I forgot also that being lefty a full lefty would be awesome but otherwise I would need to convert a lot to full ambi with settling for a RH ejecting upper.

needle in a haystack I suppose on LH ARs = that is why I said I would probably be changing a lot anyway but I need the barrel and bolt etc to be of good quality so they dont need changing etc.
    Not a AR but the Beretta version of it. ARX 100, fully ambidextrous, ejection either side as well as charging handle. Takes AR mags.There are a few around. I have one with a 10 inch barrel and it’s a absolute pleasure to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast