Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: .500 S&W. Bullet for Buffalo.

I would worry about adequate penetration with the Barnes expanding pistol bullet. It may work on any non-dangerous game, but buffalo are a different matter.

With the relatively low SD (read short bullet length), I would go for a flat-nosed non-expanding bullet. Something like a hard cast lead or turned mono copper bullet, for best penetration.

Banned

Here is a discussion on the Barnes 375 XPB and its penetration abilities. Read most of them and a very positive picture unfolds.

https://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com...pb-for-500-s-w

Banned

A youtube video comparing the 45-70 to the 500:

The 45-70 outperforms the 500 when it comes to penetration test in both the revolvers and the lever action rifles.

This gives one an idea as to what can be expected because the 45-70 has been used on African game.

From what I have read (no personal experience!) one needs penetration on buffalo.

Therefore I would seriously consider solid bullets.

These pistol bullets have a very low BC, and the muzzle velocity is pretty much the low end of the required impact velocity already.

The BC number is the distance over which the bullet loses half it's energy, so a 0.12 BC means the bullet has half it's energy after 120 yards.

In any case, you'll back him up with a proper big bore, the chances are you will have to finish it off.

[QUOTE=414gates;1441814

In any case, you'll back him up with a proper big bore, the chances are you will have to finish it off.[/QUOTE]

He will be backed but I would prefer him to kill it himself, preferably with his first shot. If the .500 S&W is not capable of that it would be better if he use a caliber that is.

User

I have absolutely no personal experience to back up my opinion so take it from whence it comes and price it accordingly.

People have successfully killed all sorts of animals with unlikely cartridges so the fact that you can kill big things with little cartridges is an established fact. Whether its advisable or ethical to go after a big, tough and dangerous animal with what on paper appears to be at best a marginally effective cartridge for the job just because you can is another question.

Banned

Did you have a look at my post 22? Penetration was not a problem with the 440gr bullet on both buffalo and elephant.

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Did you have a look at my post 22? Penetration was not a problem with the 440gr bullet on both buffalo and elephant.
    Post #20 :)
    Yes, that might be the way to go. Good penetration with no energy wasted on making the bullet expand. A flat nosed solid .500" bullet will make a fairly large hole.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post

I have done so now. There is one mention of bears but nothing about buff or elephant as far as I can see. Regardless, the 'on paper' numbers put the 500 in a lever gun a long way behind the big bores used by the people I know who have shot buff. To be clear, I am not saying that it isn't up to the task as I have no experience.

*edit* I see it was post #20. Will go and have a look.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post

I have done so now. There is one mention of bears but nothing about buff or elephant as far as I can see. Regardless, the 'on paper' numbers put the 500 in a lever gun a long way behind the big bores used by the people I know who have shot buff. To be clear, I am not saying that it isn't up to the task as I have no experience.

*edit* I see it was post #20. Will go and have a look.
    Read post 12 of the above link.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast