Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    User

Default Re: .500 S&W. Bullet for Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post

Bliksem you can see the bullet fly and it hit with authority .

User

That undeniably did the business.

User

that shot went exactly where it was supposed to, almost looks like he threaded a needle there!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    that shot went exactly where it was supposed to, almost looks like he threaded a needle there!
    Skill is an underappreciated part of hunting. There is much more time spent on discussing bullets and ballistics than on actually practicing what is important.

User

Skill is an underappreciated part of hunting. There is much more time spent on discussing bullets and ballistics than on actually practicing what is important.
    True. It seems to be a natural tendency for some people to fixate on the gear rather than the skills. I call it 'silver bulletism'. Have seen it in shooting, hockey, golf motor racing etc etc.

User

And many of us are guilty of this, in the age of the internet. When asking about monolithic and bonded bullets to the person who introduced me to hunting, he kept responding about time in the field and shot placement. A few hunts with him showed me why, he focused on stalking , animal behaviour and shot placement. His standard cup and core bullets have always worked for him, and to some degree his stuck in his old ways, but I really can't fault him as his results and field knowledge shows.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptein L View Post
    Bliksem you can see the bullet fly and it hit with authority .
    This is amazing!!! I agree with all the other comments slightly to the left off the horn and a long day would have ensued. But the hunter did great and the 500S&W hit like a train.

User

The .500 Auto Max cartridge is a rimless .500 S&W designed for use in an AR-10 platform. Buffalo Bore offers a 440-grain gas-checked hard cast loading that they claim is adequate for dangerous game. Below is the link to their product page with ballistics charts relative to m.v.’s from 1500-2200 f.p.s. (corresponding to different barrel lengths, not specified).
    Would any of the PH’s here object to a client’s use of an AR platform due to any perceived reliability issues, or the fact it is an auto-loader, given you are otherwise satisfied the client is suitable for the hunt?

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=534

User

Hunting with a semi auto rifle is illegal in SA and most other African countries.
    Personally, I would not have a problem with a hunter using a semi auto (if it is legal and the rifle is reliable and chambered for a suitable cartridge), other ph's might feel different about this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6