Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: buying rifle components separately - how does it work

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    When last have you heard of anyone that has done this successfully? I tried, but all interested parties said I have to licence the components first, them permission to builld and then licence again afterwards.

DFO, importer, seller and gunsmith being the interested parties.
    Look, building a rifle currently is an enormous pain in the ass. I went through it once and it was enough to make me swear never to do it again.
    But, it can be done. Just don't expect it to be quick or easy or cheap. Unless it is something unique and otherwise unobtainable it is easier, quicker and cheaper to just buy a factory rifle.

User

Had the barrels and action approved. Next is the permission to build and then licencing it. I tried the easy way and no joy.

I have to go through this as it is quite difficult getting a barnard p-action with a 30" .308 barrel as a factory build in SA.

Had the barrels and action approved. Next is the permission to build and then licencing it. I tried the easy way and no joy.

I have to go through this as it is quite difficult getting a barnard p-action with a 30" .308 barrel as a factory build in SA.
    If nothing else, this will teach you patience

When last have you heard of anyone that has done this successfully?.
    I had my rifle built like this. I sourced the action from one place, the barrel from another, had them shipped directly to a gunsmith where he cut the chamber, assembled, and then I licensed it.

The seller of the barrel or the action can't give it to you without a license, but they can transfer it to another dealer, who is the gunsmith. When he is done. he creates the serial number, registers it on the system, and then you license it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2