Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Experiences with the 404 Jeffery?

Howzit guys, so as one could guess from the title of this post, I’m wanting to know a little more about people’s experiences with a 404 Jeffery. Although I don’t plan on hunting dangerous game anytime soon, my father will be hunting a buff in the not too distant future and it would be great to back him up and have a ‘medium big bore’ of my own. I’ve been looking at this caliber for a while now and have decided that I would really like to look at purchasing one. Perhaps not now (unless there’s a killer deal on the horizon) but definitely in the future. I have a few other calibers that tick all the other categories for my hunting of everything up to dangerous game (my largest current caliber is a 300 Win Mag). I am not a PH so a .375 H&H would make a lot more sense but I’m so intrigued by the .404. Have any of you hunted with one or know of people who have? Any personal experiences with the caliber or stories/photos would be great. Have a good one😁

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Experiences with the 404 Jeffery?

Chat to Gert Odendaal, he did a write up some time back on the 404.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

I have not hunted anything with a 404, just a few shots on the range so far. What I can say is that it's perceived recoil is "softer" than my 375, and I can shoot my 375 from prone. That is a big plus for me.

The disadvantage of the 404 is the non-availability of factory rifles, so it will need to be a custom build. That tends to push the price up, but also offers you the opportunity to have it made just the way you want it. Just keep in mind that the proportions of a DG rifle need to be different from a normal hunting rifle, in order to take the recoil. For example, there needs to be ample space between the rear of the trigger guard and your knuckles...

User

For the custom route Johan Greyling builds them for approx 25K. The latest factory 404 I saw was a CZ for approx 45K about 10yrs back.

User

Awesome caliber, recoil is more than a 375 but similar to the 375
    they are difficult to locate , i own one of the few CZ550’s in SA in this caliber

User
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

You cannot go wrong! AS said getting one is the issue, but you can build a beautiful custom one. People should not come and say yeah but it is expensive.... So are those same people own LR/PRS hobbies, if not more.

A lot of people at BASA (Big Bore Association) shoots the 404. Come and have a look!

It is a wonderful caliber. Made to replicate to some extent the 416Rigby, but it has created its own following and reputation. Some people think it is "just" bigger than the 375, in fact it is "just" bigger than the 416's as it bore diameter is .423.

If I did not inherit a 375, causing me to rather buy a 458 Exp, I would have bought a 404...I will one day in any case. 375 is also great, but with the big calibers once you start shooing, you will want to leave your 308/30-06 at home. You cannot go wrong with it (or its more readily available, hence more popular 416)

Quote Originally Posted by SASwart View Post
    Made to replicate to some extent the 416Rigby ..
    404 was before 416 Rigby.

It was the standard caliber used by Fred Everett to hunt elephant.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    404 was before 416 Rigby.

It was the standard caliber used by Fred Everett to hunt elephant.
    Apologies, you are right. I got it wrong, it was the 450/400

User

I have not hunted with one myself but I have shot it. With original .404 level loads (400gr bullet @ 2150fps) recoil is similar to a .375 H&H of the same weight. Loaded to original .416 Rigby levels (400gr bullet @ 2350fps) recoil is very similar to a .416 Rigby or .416 rem mag.

I also guided a client using a custom .404 on a blue wildebeest hunt. He was using handloads with the 400gr Peregrine VRG3 bullet at ±2200fps. Predictably this worked well. A single front angled shot resulted in a 100m run with a dead wildebeest bull at the end of it.

The .404 is a better buffalo caliber than the .375 H&H but not quite as versatile. I certainly wouldn't mind having one. Hornady makes ammo and cases and Peregrine and Claw make bullets locally.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast