Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Experiences with the 404 Jeffery?

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I have not hunted with one myself but I have shot it. With original .404 level loads (400gr bullet @ 2150fps) recoil is similar to a .375 H&H of the same weight. Loaded to original .416 Rigby levels (400gr bullet @ 2350fps) recoil is very similar to a .416 Rigby or .416 rem mag.

I also guided a client using a custom .404 on a blue wildebeest hunt. He was using handloads with the 400gr Peregrine VRG3 bullet at ±2200fps. Predictably this worked well. A single front angled shot resulted in a 100m run with a dead wildebeest bull at the end of it.

The .404 is a better buffalo caliber than the .375 H&H but not quite as versatile. I certainly wouldn't mind having one. Hornady makes ammo and cases and Peregrine and Claw make bullets locally.

i load 400g woodleigh's , they perform excellent at moderate speed and very manageable recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
    i load 400g woodleigh's , they perform excellent at moderate speed and very manageable recoil.
    Better stock up on those woodleigh’s, i heard the factory burnt down to the ground and no plans to built it up again

User

Quote Originally Posted by aimpoint View Post
    Better stock up on those woodleigh’s, i heard the factory burnt down to the ground and no plans to built it up again
    i have read that as well , thankfully i do have enough stock

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I have not hunted anything with a 404, just a few shots on the range so far. What I can say is that it's perceived recoil is "softer" than my 375, and I can shoot my 375 from prone. That is a big plus for me.

The disadvantage of the 404 is the non-availability of factory rifles, so it will need to be a custom build. That tends to push the price up, but also offers you the opportunity to have it made just the way you want it. Just keep in mind that the proportions of a DG rifle need to be different from a normal hunting rifle, in order to take the recoil. For example, there needs to be ample space between the rear of the trigger guard and your knuckles...
    I believe that although on paper it’s more, as you say the felt recoil is less. What do you shoot out of it? Planning on doing any hunting in the future?

User

Thank you for your detailed responses Cordite, I appreciate it. I have read both these threads but was interested to see if many other guys had used them for hunting since those ones were posted. I have spoken to Gert and have his friend Johan’s number, I may need to give him a call at some stage. That factory rifle pricing is scary!

User

Quote Originally Posted by SASwart View Post
    You cannot go wrong! AS said getting one is the issue, but you can build a beautiful custom one. People should not come and say yeah but it is expensive.... So are those same people own LR/PRS hobbies, if not more.

A lot of people at BASA (Big Bore Association) shoots the 404. Come and have a look!

It is a wonderful caliber. Made to replicate to some extent the 416Rigby, but it has created its own following and reputation. Some people think it is "just" bigger than the 375, in fact it is "just" bigger than the 416's as it bore diameter is .423.

If I did not inherit a 375, causing me to rather buy a 458 Exp, I would have bought a 404...I will one day in any case. 375 is also great, but with the big calibers once you start shooing, you will want to leave your 308/30-06 at home. You cannot go wrong with it (or its more readily available, hence more popular 416)
    Yes, unfortunately none of these hobbies are exactly cheap haha! You are dead right, at least you can have it built to your desired specs. I find it interesting how this caliber has such an attraction for most individuals who already have ones that are similar on paper. It’s great that it still has such a following.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I have not hunted with one myself but I have shot it. With original .404 level loads (400gr bullet @ 2150fps) recoil is similar to a .375 H&H of the same weight. Loaded to original .416 Rigby levels (400gr bullet @ 2350fps) recoil is very similar to a .416 Rigby or .416 rem mag.

I also guided a client using a custom .404 on a blue wildebeest hunt. He was using handloads with the 400gr Peregrine VRG3 bullet at ±2200fps. Predictably this worked well. A single front angled shot resulted in a 100m run with a dead wildebeest bull at the end of it.

The .404 is a better buffalo caliber than the .375 H&H but not quite as versatile. I certainly wouldn't mind having one. Hornady makes ammo and cases and Peregrine and Claw make bullets locally.
    would you say that at velocity’s of around 2350 FPS the recoil felt as sharp as the 416 rem or less?

It is my go to bush calibre.
    I have shot Impala right through to buffalo and it has never disappointed.
    The recoil is manageable with my 2250/fps.
    I shoot peregrine points.
    It is not a round designed to chase speed, if you want to do that, rather get a 416.
    The furthest shot I have taken is around 200m but it is comfortable up to 150m.
    In my biased opinion there is no better bushveld calibre.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adie View Post
    would you say that at velocity’s of around 2350 FPS the recoil felt as sharp as the 416 rem or less?
    At that velocity I could not tell the difference in recoil between the two.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bonesgun View Post
    It is my go to bush calibre.
    I have shot Impala right through to buffalo and it has never disappointed.
    The recoil is manageable with my 2250/fps.
    I shoot peregrine points.
    It is not a round designed to chase speed, if you want to do that, rather get a 416.
    The furthest shot I have taken is around 200m but it is comfortable up to 150m.
    In my biased opinion there is no better bushveld calibre.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    I can second that, I shoot 400gr claws at 2190fps out of my custom 404, I use it almost as my only bushveld gun, its a joy to shoot and meat damage is minimal

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast