Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Muzzle brake / flash hider AR 15 advice

Quote Originally Posted by koperaal koos View Post
    Your comment I must say is kind of idiotic. There is a moerse difference between chambering a shotgun to scare someone off, and shooting an attacker with an un-suppressed AR15... You sir sound like kind of a doos...
    Almost as much as you being a doos for thinking a suppressed AR is quiet...

Do we seriously need the personal attacks for words on the internet?

Play nice.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Apologies, merely expressing opinions / advise - not sure why there always are attacks different views.
    Never said suppressed rifles were quiet, however their intent is to be more covert i.e. suppress sound (even if its just at the muzzle for supersonic rounds) and to suppress muzzle flash.
    My view (subjective) is that in a home defense situation you do not want to be covert. I am not referring to running and gunning like Rambo, however when confronted with a lethal threat and you engage the threat that the action will be loud. This will alert your neighbors for assistance and possible for the remaining threats to bugger off. The main idea to stop an attack and discourages potential threats with their intended plans.
    My view / experience (again subjective) with suppressor is that as it takes away firstly the benefits if an SBR making the rifle bulky again and also increase the gasses in the action (my rifle does not have adjustable gasblock)

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    Sort of, some suppressors are designed well enough to reduce blowback

I've worked on a fair amount of AR15's and I can count on my one hand the amount that have not had oversized barrel gas ports from factory.
    Correct, but as you say reduce not eliminate. Your point about oversized gas ports cannot be overemphasized. I did a 180 on the AR after getting to use a new Colt AR. So much softer.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Does a brake on a .556 make any practical improvement to its performance for sub-Miculek level shooters or is it just a high speed low drag farkle?
    I have a regular flash hider on my (Heavy barreled) AR. I recently fired two different AR's belonging to other guys in my squad ad they have comps. Not even big comps, small diameter / not thicker than a regular flash hider stuff. It makes a HUGE diffrence.

'Currently saving up for a comp...

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    I have a regular flash hider on my (Heavy barreled) AR. I recently fired two different AR's belonging to other guys in my squad ad they have comps. Not even big comps, small diameter / not thicker than a regular flash hider stuff. It makes a HUGE diffrence.

This and the other posters feedback has come as quite a surprise. I've no experience shooting a comped .556 so will need to give it a try at my next clubshoot.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Correct, but as you say reduce not eliminate. Your point about oversized gas ports cannot be overemphasized. I did a 180 on the AR after getting to use a new Colt AR. So much softer.
    Yeah, true, but then again even unsuppressed guns have blow back, but I get what you're saying.

User

Your comment I must say is kind of idiotic. There is a moerse difference between chambering a shotgun to scare someone off, and shooting an attacker with an un-suppressed AR15... You sir sound like kind of a doos...
    Ja nee, cause when shooting someone center mass with a 5.56, it is the sound of the gun shot that lets them know you mean business

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post

I have a proper 5 port Muzzle brake on my Long range competition rifle. You only hate them until you can follow hits and misses on gongs that a suppressor could not do. Also the almost zero heat deflection (mirage) from the MB is great.

Like I said in the beginning I have a suppressor. I want a MB or flash hider that make the life of my training partners beter and mine every now and then.

Thank you for the constructive inputs. I will follow the leads.

I still think a standard birdcage Flash hider is what I need.

User

Apologies, merely expressing opinions / advise - not sure why there always are attacks different views.
    Never said suppressed rifles were quiet, however their intent is to be more covert i.e. suppress sound (even if its just at the muzzle for supersonic rounds) and to suppress muzzle flash.
    My view (subjective) is that in a home defense situation you do not want to be covert. I am not referring to running and gunning like Rambo, however when confronted with a lethal threat and you engage the threat that the action will be loud. This will alert your neighbors for assistance and possible for the remaining threats to bugger off. The main idea to stop an attack and discourages potential threats with their intended plans.
    My view / experience (again subjective) with suppressor is that as it takes away firstly the benefits if an SBR making the rifle bulky again and also increase the gasses in the action (my rifle does not have adjustable gasblock)
    I double dare you to fire a AR indoors in corridor...
    without ear protection.

I run my AR with a suppressor permanently on ( adds 150mm ), its a pleasure to shoot now regards sound.
    And yes you can fire it indoors without ear protection and still have good situational awareness with hearing intact

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast