Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Muzzle brake / flash hider AR 15 advice

Beware taking advice from YouTube preachers, they paid by companies to push products. Those channels are entertainment only.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    Beware taking advice from YouTube preachers, they paid by companies to push products. Those channels are entertainment only.
    This is sage advice. There is very little truly independent and credible advice available on Youtube where it comes to product selection regardless of the type of product. As soon as a channel gets enough views/subscribers to matter they will be approached by suppliers and it must be very difficult to refuse their offers.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Does a brake on a .556 make any practical improvement to its performance for sub-Miculek level shooters or is it just a high speed low drag farkle?
    "sub-Miculek level shooters" - Lol count 100% of everyone as a "Sub-Miculek" shooter on gunsite!

User

LOL, clearly you guys don't know who John Lovell AKA Warrior Poet is. He's a been there done that door kicker. If you watch his video he makes a good argument for an unsuppressed AR for home defense, provided you have hearing protection. Basically its a shock and awe thing, unleashing absolute hellfire and pandemonium on the invaders, overwhelming and disorienting them

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    LOL, clearly you guys don't know who John Lovell AKA Warrior Poet is. He's a been there done that door kicker. If you watch his video he makes a good argument for an unsuppressed AR for home defense, provided you have hearing protection. Basically its a shock and awe thing, unleashing absolute hellfire and pandemonium on the invaders, overwhelming and disorienting them
    I know him, watch his videos, and can also formulate my own opinion on his "teachings".
    If shock and awe is the goal, and not ending the threat... then why not just get a 7" 308 with the biggest brake you can find?

Also, in a situation where I'm hauling out a rifle for SD, while advantageous, ear pro is really not going be near the top of my list of things to check off at that time.

I feel like people get far to worried about the hollywood aspects when considering using a firearm for SD.

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    Also his reason for prefering a non-silenced rifle for home defence is that he doesnt suffer from a Gecko45 / Mall ninja mentality.
    Mall ninjas can go on for hours about how they will maintain comms with their various family members doing tactical stealth meneuvres around the house while silently picking off invaders.
    People who have any measurable amount of experience shooting people / getting shot / shot at know that "in the middle of the fight" is too late to coordinate family members / children / spouses etc. 'Not going to work in real life unless your trained for it... beforehand.
    Really loud (un-suppressed) gun shots will do two things.
    1. Any attackers inside or still outside will have no doubt the game is up / the element of surprise is no more...
    2. Neighbours will probably hear the gunshots and (hopefully) call the cops / come to help / call alarm company etc.

Really silent gunshots may also do two things...
    1. Attackers may not realise they are being shot at and may advance / enter further into your house when you need them to leave.
    2. No one will come and assist or call the cops / ambulance.

A light, small can will serve you well. Look at the Gunwarrior Shorty.

It's very light, so it doesn't deflect the barrel too much.

It won't completely suppress the rifle, it's too small, but it will

1. lower the noise level
    2. prevent side blast
    3. reduce felt recoil
    4. reduce flash significantly

And why are flash hiders called flash hiders when they don't hide the flash, just redirect it into pretty patterns ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post

And why are flash hiders called flash hiders when they don't hide the flash, just redirect it into pretty patterns ?
    As I understand it it is because they hide the flash for the shooter and no one else.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    Also, in a situation where I'm hauling out a rifle for SD, while advantageous, ear pro is really not going be near the top of my list of things to check off at that time.
    There are times my spidey senses tingle and my go to rifle is stored muzzle down with a spare set of muffs over the stock and it isn't stored in the safe.

I quite like my hearing.

It can be entertaining firing a shot down a passage with a 375 H&H and half the ceiling lands on your pip, eyes blinded by dust. Ears singing for two weeks. The good days of being young and stupid.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast