Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Flying to Cape Town with handgun

I’ve never flown with my firearm before and I’d like to take it with to my trip to Cape Town. I’ve heard SAA is the only carrier that still does this however I can’t find any details on their website.

Does anyone know if this is still available? If so how do I go about getting it done?

Default Re: Flying to Cape Town with handgun

Dont believe the "new rebooted" SAA can currently carry Firearms

Safair only does hunting rifles/Shotguns https://www.flysafair.co.za/travel-t...luggage-policy
    Airlink also only does rifles/Shotguns https://www.flyairlink.com/baggage-firearms-ammunition

Lift should be able to help you

Banned

Last I read was that they became quite expensive, and that one has to arrange the transport upfront. (I hope this is wrong and that someone can verify or correct it.)

When we flew down we used RAM Couriers to deliver handguns to a gun shop in Cape Town.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Last I read was that they became quite expensive, and that one has to arrange the transport upfront. (I hope this is wrong and that someone can verify or correct it.)

When we flew down we used RAM Couriers to deliver handguns to a gun shop in Cape Town.
    Is RAM safe to use? Last thing I want is my firearm to go missing.
    How much did that cost you?

User

Quote Originally Posted by DDB View Post
    Ram is not cheap. Probably close to R1000 one way last time I checked. Dealers do get better prices though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    Ram is not cheap. Probably close to R1000 one way last time I checked. Dealers do get better prices though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Safair want R1125 for a rifle

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DDB View Post
    Couriers are couriers. We have used them three times over the last ten years and had no troubles except for delays.

Blue Logistics charge less, but you wait longer. I paid roughly R700 for a rifle from Cape Town to Stella. I think I waited four weeks.

RAM is good and fast; I am not up to date with their rates. Somewhere on the forum someone mentioned that their rates are not 100% fixed.

Does SAA actually fly at the moment?

RAM I believe is now over R800 and you will need to budget for down and up off course.

User

Last time I flew JHB to CT with a handgun SAA managed to execute a an exquisite flubber and sent it to Durban. Had to hang around for most of the day while they got it back.

User

No airlines are transporting handguns at the moment. Safair charges R1125 one way plus R285 for insurance bolt action rifles and pump shotguns only. Yes insurance as there is a possibility it might go missing according to the call centre. Airlink does not have capacity to transport dangerous goods. BA does not do transportation of firearms as of 2020 onwards. I travel often from CPT to Dur and no airline can assist.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast