Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Shortening Brno Fox .222 to 18”?

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Do you really need such a big suppressor for that small calibre rifle?
    With the shorter barrel the muzzle blast will be more pronounced, so a decent suppressor is a good idea. You could likely get enough sound moderation out of a good 6" suppressor, but a 7.5" long one will have more internal volume and, all other things being equal, should give the better noise reduction.

On self-loading 223 rifles (222 and 223 don't differ very much), a 16" barrel is quite common and nobody seems to complain about them. This particular length is mostly due to US barrel length restrictions.

A friend owns a CZ 223 carbine that came from the factory with an 18" barrel. His 2 daughters (11 and 13) seem to shoot very well with it.

Just make sure that the crown and thread is cut properly. I have seen some really atrocious jobs...

Banned

Yes the muzzle blast on a 16" rifle barrel without suppressor is rather startling if you not directly behind it and even then you find yourself checking that its really a .22?

Banned

It is understandable when comparing it to vehicles:

You have an older Hilux bakkie / Mercedes which has done its share of work. Now you want to tweak and adjust it for your family to start driving, maybe as a university vehicle?

I say chop it, maybe hollow out the stock a bit, and shorten the front piece as well. Make it their special rifle. Recoil is if no issue with a .222.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post

You have an older Hilux bakkie / Mercedes which has done its share of work. Now you want to tweak and adjust it for your family to start driving, maybe as a university vehicle?

I say chop it, maybe hollow out the stock a bit, and shorten the front piece as well. Make it their special rifle. Recoil is if no issue with a .222.
    Hollowing out the stock and fitting a long suppressor? The Brno Fox is already built on a mini action and has a sporter barrel so weight should not be an issue. Removing additional weight from the rear of the rifle will just make it really barrel heavy when what you ideally want is for the weight to be balanced to pivot on the front action screw.

User

Quote Originally Posted by kaspaas View Post
    I want to fit a supressor with length of 7.5”.
    This sounds like overkill - you're not trying to silence an ultra-mag here! ;-)
    I would vote for less silencer and a bit more barrel - you can always trim more barrel off if its still not enough (I know there's a cost though). But you can't add any barrel back if you take off too much.

I run a 'mini' Sustac silencer (don't recall the specific model name) on my 6x45 which is a bigger case than your 222, and it is incredibly quiet (scientific measure of noise!!). I think the silencer is around 130mm.
    My combo is every bit as quiet as a friend who uses a full size (8"?) Silent Hunter silencer on his 222.

Smaller silencer and more barrel gives you a decent compromise on ballistic performance and sound reduction. My 2c

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post

Exactly my thoughts! Their special rifle…

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2