Banned

Default I thought I would post a blast from the past, I hope its nostalgic enough enough for a smile.

Surviving a week being banned on GunSite

I had just bought Cody his first .22, a Remington 512 SportsMaster, lever action under barrel tube magazine in good to very good condition and needed a stock that he could ruin.

Then the ban happened,I was a bit shocked, huh!, how?, who?, me?, why? Really did not know but that stuff back then.

As it went down in 2014

Surviving a week being banned on GunSite

A bit tongue in cheek here - but for any of you that been reading and posting for a while, its not nice. I have gotten so used to starting free time scanning GS before saying I am now in free time. I wake up put paste on my brush and scan new posts while brushing, that way I do not rush the tooth brushing process. Generally when I come home lunch time I will set out the work I am going to see too and open the new posts page. I will make a lunch and coffee and eat it while reading new posts, replies will be typed one finger style while eating. I then get on with work, its a kind of work break. End of the day when I have done everything I need to do and family is asleep, I tend to really digest my GS pages correspondence. I do not spend a lot of time on GS but "lots of times a day".
    While being banned I found myself with a serious what to do hole, and I realized what a easy boredom fix GS has become to me. I turn to GS while waiting for wife to get ready, killing ten minutes before earliest I can leave for a appointment. It has become quiet a drug. I fear missing some valuable info on how to save the K98 bolt from cracking or the latest rust stopper. I found myself coming home checking the weather, going to GS and finding a -"you have been banned - Reason - no reason given - ban will be lifted 06/04/2014 16h00". Going back to weather - going back to my favourites and discovering again that there is nothing that pleases me as much as the folk on GS.
    Day 2 the angry bit starts, who banned me - why - why the just ignore my requests for a explanation. I find myself trying to picture the person that banned me, because of way done, he must be a small ou, with thick glass's in some dark den with PCs reaching wall to wall flexing his interweb muscles while stroking his favourite Glock. Its about now I realize I am having with drawl symptoms - only five long days to go, at this rate my banning agent will become a gargoyle in about 12 hrs.

Day 3 I pretend I do not care and just put more coffee in my mug before sitting in front of my now useless PC. I have now worn out the interest in the combined use of Hornady and Noslers free online ballistic calculator. I have rearranged my photo albums and my music play lists.And managed to load 300 shot shells.

Day 4 I get the brilliant Idea to strip my sons Remington 512 sportster .22 and cold blue it, while at it I will build/modify him a stock that will fit his 6 yr old frame. The gunsmith did not looked to enthusiastic about my job request anyway. 23h30 same night I realise that stripping a bolt action tube fed magazine type rifle has a lot more parts and hidden pins springs and WTF surprises than a bolt action or a lever action.(must have been a brilliant 3 dimensional thinker that got the Remington Tube magazine bolt action rifle to do what it does. I stop stripping and concede to clean and cold blue from a semi stripped condition. Went bed after 01h00, did not have a last check to see if I was still banned.

Day 5 I realise that only a stock made for a rifle with a tube magazine will work on this rifle. This will be a 2 day search and eventually I find a piece of wood that no one knows about at a gun shop - "you can have it". Cutting up and shortening the Remingtons 1944 stock has been averted. Easy job just remove some wood and drop Remington in. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day six Saturday, a early start and down to range by 14h00 to test .22. Still banned and not missing it so much, but mainly the info availability. By 21h00 hrs Sat the easy job was finished - nothing fitted - there is a over cam lever that sticks out through stock and a piece of wood had to be found hollowed and glued in. The trigger sits whir there is no wood and the single bolt that holds it all together is too long. Its finished and looks ok for a first. Almost went to bed without waxing stock and oiling blueing.

Day 7 wake up all exited check blueing - call son and show him end result. His response " Mmmn daddy, - can we go swimming today ?.) Today he has just no interest in that rifle. I worked so long at making it right for him. - Go check if I am still banned, --- yip still banned - go out for a couple of Sunday beers and a few wheelies on the bike.
    trying too download to photo bucket the pictures of .22, but wont allow me in again. Oh and quick check on GS and here I am - unbanned. Hope I stay under the who ever what ever that decides whether you in or out. I survived 7 days with out gun Site, I am a survivor.

driepootx

UserJoin DateDec 2009LocationVereenigingAge67Posts5,237

Re: Surviving a week being banned on GunSite

I see you really purged your troubled mind. Good to have you back.

06-04-2014, 21:59
    FrankH

Yes it is rather addictive.

None of the mods are as you imagine them , and generally bans are deserved. Sometimes it does get a bit tedious with some of the BS that goes on.

Welcome back btw.

Banned

Default Re: I thought I would post a blast from the past, I hope its nostalgic enough enough for a smile.

At least I am not the only GS addict

It is only work keeping me from posting as much as I did.

Banned

Default Re: I thought I would post a blast from the past, I hope its nostalgic enough enough for a smile.

Frank h - unspoken hero and powerful male in the new world.

• Dude, you are a banned NOVICE , a ROOKIE ! ! !

Welcome back

• 07-04-2014, 00:54
      nkosi

MemberJoin DateOct 2009LocationAustraliaAge52Posts1,785

Hi treeman

Glad that you are back (only realised now that you had been banned - I thought you were off hunting something special for a while).
      Anyway, keep on posting, I enjoy your posts as do many others, no matter how hard they are to read sometimes. At least you explained one of the reasons for that - coffee in one hand & one finger typing.

• 07-04-2014, 05:20
      BigT

UserJoin DateJul 2008Age43Posts29,307

The comments are always in jest after the ban isn't it? We are always expected to fall for stupid shit like that.

Quick hint. Personal attacks on me just after your ban ends aren't going to ensure you're longevity.

Now how about you build a bridge and get over it. This passive aggresive shit is a wate of time.

• 07-04-2014, 06:19
        Frizzle

UserJoin DateJan 2013LocationJohannesburgPosts1,179

Originally Posted by BigT
        The comments are always in jest after the ban isn't it? We are always expected to fall for stupid shit like that.

They always are.
        And we all do it. While we know that we really shouldn't.
        Although Treeman makes it sound like there's a life outside of Gunsite. Other than the shooting range, and my work where I make money so I can spend it on the range and my safe contents, there is none

• 07-04-2014, 06:25
        Maroelas

UserJoin DateAug 2011LocationVirtutopiaAge39Posts9,381

Last night when I tried to reply to this thread it kept on saying invalid thread, like it was deleted! I thought you'd pissed someone off again Treeman!

Thanks it was a good read!

• 07-04-2014, 07:54
        treeman

UserJoin DateAug 2010LocationPort ElizabethAge53Posts10,769

T - I dunno if you a funny or a ugly man, wish I could meet you. But ya no sweat you got the seat of power and I got a bridge to build . Now its time to go try make more money than I spend. Had a wonderful thing happen last night, I was awoken by laughing - lovely lively light laughing. My 6yr old was laughing like a child playing,but in his sleep. Made me think, I must be doing something right..

Kasspir
        UserJoin DateMay 2010LocationGangsters ParadisePosts500

Reading this thread makes me think I'm smoking the wrong stuff...

Would like to see some pics of the .22 though

Originally Posted by BigT
        We are always expected to fall for stupid shit like that.

Quick hint. Personal attacks on me just after your ban ends aren't going to ensure you're longevity.

Now how about you build a bridge and get over it. This passive aggresive shit is a wate of time.

Sweet

UserJoin DateSep 2009Posts4,337Not a personal attack - just a comment - pity that it is wasted (which is the correct spelling) most of the time, and more often than not NOT directed at you. Great that you believe it though - it shows perspective (or yours at least).

(guess I will see you in 7 days time, guys)

Was funny at the time .

User

Treeman, by now you may have noticed that your particular sense of humor is not appreciated by each and everyone.

User

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MSW2 View Post
    Once they were young !

User

Definitely worth a good laugh. I can relate to a lot of that. I hope you are feeling better.

User

Once they were young !
    Nice blast from the past.

Once We were young as well.