Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Shotgun ammunition for an old Browning O/U

I bought a second hand 12G Browning Superposed O/U (made in Belgium) 1980's and got the SMS to say my license has been approved after a 10 month wait. I now have to wait for the card.

I honestly don't know much about shotgun ammo, as I have never bought any before, although I have a feeling that they are not exactly picky about what you put through them. However, I was told that the metallurgy in the older guns is not as good as the new ones, and they start to balloon near the chokes if you feed it on modern lead free high velocity rounds. Can someone advise if this is true, and make suggestions as to what to look for hunting game birds etc and for shooting clays.

User

Default Re: Shotgun ammunition for an old Browning O/U

Our shotgun ammo is still loaded with lead shot. Make sure your chambers will accept 70mm shells. If they are 75mm, that's fine.

Yes, do not shoot any American steel shot through your Browning. Doubt if you will find any here in ZA though.

For clays, most gun shops stock no 7.5 28g ammo. This is usually the most affordable 12 Ga ammo, so buy lots of it.

For birds, decide what shot size is best for your particular conditions. Shotgunners have argued for hundreds of years about what is best, so you won't ever receive a definite answer.

User

"Made in the 1980s" does not make it an older gun.

the "metallurgy of older guns" thing refers to guns made before or around the 1900's.

the metallurgy of your gun will be just fine.

Banned

Is it not about sixes and sevens?

User

Post some pictures of the gun!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    "Made in the 1980s" does not make it an older gun.

the "metallurgy of older guns" thing refers to guns made before or around the 1900's.

the metallurgy of your gun will be just fine.
    I just read somewhere that the newer guns have a Fleur de Lys stamped for Superior Steel Shot to indicate that the barrel is made from superior steel and protects them and allows them to be used with high velocity steel shot. I also know that my young nephew inherited his grandfathers O/U and the barrels started to bulge below the chokes (I think from using steel shot). Replacement barrels were more expensive then a new Baretta silver pigeon.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    Post some pictures of the gun!
    I wish I could..... still waiting for the license card, which could take 6 months I'm told

Someone was selling all their shotguns so went to have a look at an old Baretta/Musgrave that fitted in my price range. After picking them all up, I remember by brother-law-saying, it doesn't matter what shotgun you buy, it doesn't matter how much it costs, the most important thing is that it must fit. You must be able to pick it up and immediately line up the target and sights without adjusting anything.
    That bit of advice caused me to double what I was prepared to pay, the moment I picked up the Browning. Its a standard engraving, not one of the ones with the super fancy engraving that cost xxx more.

User

What a cool thing to have got your hands on. I'm more than a little jealous.

User

https://www.aabrownandsons.com/prooftable.html

According to this, most shotguns can use standard steel shot provided you do not go smaller than half choke.

The fleur de lis only applies to high performance steel shot.

User

I wouldn't use steel shot through my guns unless compelled to do so by law.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast