Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    Are you factoring in the cost of your reloading setup and your own per hourly wage?
    Reloading is therapeutic for me. I see my reloading setups in the same light as my newly acquired PV system. One day there is going to be very little ammo available same as electricity, at least I will be able to help myself for a while. The joke/question was always that will you save money by reloading, the answer is always no, you wouldn't save money but you will just shoot a lot more.

I load for several calibers and shoot quite a bit. My reloading setups have paid for itself many times over and will do so even more in the future.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ocali View Post
    If you decide to get rid of the 15-22 I would be interested

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the offer but I must confess that I'm a hoarder and find it very difficult to sell anything. LoL

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I cast my own 9mmP and Powder coat myself. The lead is some range pick up when mostly in winter its cool and im bored after a shoot Ill pick up some. And then I get from a friend with indoor range as well on occasion some free range lead.

I bought Powder coating powder at like R120 for a kg. It will last forever as I use very little.

In December when we visit my mother in laws holiday home by the beach. And they go fishing. I sit under a tree and cast away. So relaxing to me more then fishing. Then one of the days there Ill sit and resize on Lee Sizer. And when back home Ill strea a movie while powder coating.

So actually except for my time I dont calculate as its part of the hobby and relaxing to me.
    the 9mmP cast costs me nothing. So only paying Primers and Powder. Cases ive got thousands.

So I went as you mentioned the PCC route. But got the Ruger Pc9. License was approved about 2 weeks back.

So to me the PCC has far more options then a 22lr. And above will be cheaper to shoot. Well in my case at least
    I have everything to cast and lube my own bullets, but that bug hasn't bit me yet. Maybe someday, maybe. I know a guy who take 1 week leave per year and spends the whole time casting and lubing bullets for the next years shooting.

User

Default Re: 10/22 Or M&P 15-22

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    I have everything to cast and lube my own bullets, but that bug hasn't bit me yet. Maybe someday, maybe. I know a guy who take 1 week leave per year and spends the whole time casting and lubing bullets for the next years shooting.
    If you do decide to go ahead with it I'd suggest looking at powder coat rather than lube. I find it to be much easier, less messy and much more pleasant to shoot than lubed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    If you do decide to go ahead with it I'd suggest looking at powder coat rather than lube. I find it to be much easier, less messy and much more pleasant to shoot than lubed.
    Thanks, that is also a option to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    I use to cast 9mmP with a Lee 6 Cavity. 124gr Conical. It casts very very fast and the mold is very light.

I now use a Lyman 4 Cavity 147 Conical. Its the best looking 9mmP bullet out there. Conical with rounded sides. Josyd use to cast these.
    I love this shape.

Anyhow this Luman mold is steel and heavy. So little more tiring a slightly slower then the Lee.

But in one morning sitting and relaxing casting away with a Lee 4/20 pot. I cast way over a thousand. December 2020 I casted just about 3/4 full of a 5L Ice cream tub. That is for me way more then I shoot in a year. That was cast in one morning. Sizing is quick on a Lee sizer.

User

Been reading through this whole thread myself, and thought I will just chime it. Back in 2020 I wanted a 15-22 really bad, but I could not find one anywhere. I walked into a gunshop in Kimberley and there was a 10/22 Takedown on the wall. Black stock and barrel @ 16.4".
    I ended up buying it and have run maybe 1000 or so rounds through it.
    It tends to stove pipe now and again during the first mag while it is still cold, but once warmed up, it runs flawlessly. I must add I only run sub-sonics through it, so that might explain the jams when cold. It runs better with high velocities, but I tend to reserve those for my bolt action hunting .22 rifle. I also have 2x 10 round mags and 2x 15 round mags as I avoided the 25 round mags due to alleged feeding issues.

I would still maybe have preferred the 15-22 due to the more "tacticool" factor, but I am quite good with my Ruger...

Back to the thread....
    I had the same dilemma. Both guns are good. I ended up with a Ruger 10/22 takedown. Price and availablity did play a factor at that time. Ruger was cheaper.
    Down the line I changed the stock to a magpul x22 backpacker stock and I feel that this has transformed my gun and my liking for the gun. Love the fact that it packs up into a compact package...In hindsight I think it was a better choice for me.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6