Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 10/22 Or M&P 15-22

A lot of the .22 replicas are a generic semi auto with a clamshell body to replicate the rifle it's mimicking, whereas the 15-22 is built like an AR

User

I bought a 15-22 and am waititng for the licence approval now. I chose the 15-22 because i want to get to know the AR platform and do significant practice without breaking my bank ......... and that was the closest .22 AR i could find at the time and the price was good also.

User

User

I've got zero experience of the 15-22 and some experience with the 10-22 and plenty experience with assorted Winchester, Savage, Gevarm semi-auto .22's from the 60's, 70's & 80's.

I know that some people say that the 10-22's sometimes malfunction with the extended mags and/or with non-ruger mags but in my experience of using them myself and watching other people use them they can be rather picky about ammunition and they can even be just downright awkward about everything. We use one regularly with original ruger 10 round mags for proficiency training and we get a stovepipe or misfeed just about every time we take it out the safe. It malfunctions whether it's clean or dirty and irrespective of ammo brand. We use Standard Velocity ammo but I do suspect it would become more reliable if we used High Velocity. I've also watched someone at the shooting range have a malfunction with their own rifle (not ours) for every one of 10 shots that were loaded in a 25 round magazine during a club shoot. 10-22s seem to malfunction a whole lot more than any of the older semi's that I'm used to. In fairness I also know a couple of guys that say their 10-22s are 100% reliable. I get the impression that buying one of the more expensive versions buys you better components with better tolerances and probably smoother internal finish which would affect reliability.

Be aware that if you get a takedown 10-22 and mount a scope on it, it doesn't hold zero if you disassemble and reassemble it between shooting sessions. The scope is mounted on the receiver and alignment with barrel is inconsistent. If you leave it assembled it's a whole lot better.

The basic 10-22 is dirt cheap in the US. It's cheap for a reason. The 15-22 is not much better.

User

I've put every brand of 22 ammunition i can find through my 15-22 with zero issues so far, from plinking on the rifle range out to 200m to full on IPSC stages and the odd finger bang as fast as we can go.

I dropped in a Volquartzen extractor. That is the only mod i have made.

The few people i know who own a 10/22, have all had feeding issues.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    I've put every brand of 22 ammunition i can find through my 15-22 with zero issues so far, from plinking on the rifle range out to 200m to full on IPSC stages and the odd finger bang as fast as we can go.

I dropped in a Volquartzen extractor. That is the only mod i have made.

The few people i know who own a 10/22, have all had feeding issues.
    Greetings ady,

May I ask where did you purchase the extractor from? Did you have to import it ?
    Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

User

my 10/22 has run flawlessly, with the magazine i got with it, I bought a used mag from someone and its full of shit with that mag only...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    my 10/22 has run flawlessly, with the magazine i got with it, I bought a used mag from someone and its full of shit with that mag only...
    Mate of mine has exactly the same. His runs flawlessly until he puts in one of those bigger, think they are 25 round, mags and then it chokes.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Branden88 View Post
    Greetings ady,

May I ask where did you purchase the extractor from? Did you have to import it ?
    Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk
    Hi Branden

A GS member bought a few in from the US and sold them off a while ago.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast