Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default 10/22 Or M&P 15-22

Howzit

After reading the great reviews on the other thread about the 10/22 Rugers, I have decided that a 10/22 will be my first official rifle.

One of the main reasons is that the ammo is inexpensive so while I slowly stock my safe (yet to be purchased) I can spend most of my free time at the range.

Im in talks with a gent who's got a Target 10/22 which looks so good. It doesn't have the thumb hole in the stock.

CURVE BALL - Another member suggested looking at the 15-22. I saw one in real life yesterday and they look lekker.

Basically im on the fence now.

Any suggestions?

Do all 10/22's break into 2?

User

Default Re: 10/22 Or M&P 15-22

Quote Originally Posted by GunOrNot View Post
    Howzit

After reading the great reviews on the other thread about the 10/22 Rugers, I have decided that a 10/22 will be my first official rifle.

One of the main reasons is that the ammo is inexpensive so while I slowly stock my safe (yet to be purchased) I can spend most of my free time at the range.

Im in talks with a gent who's got a Target 10/22 which looks so good. It doesn't have the thumb hole in the stock.

CURVE BALL - Another member suggested looking at the 15-22. I saw one in real life yesterday and they look lekker.

Basically im on the fence now.

Any suggestions?

Do all 10/22's break into 2?
    I'd get a the Target 10/22 for what I do with a .22 and no, they are not all take down models.

User

I have the S&W 15-22.
    I don't think as accurate as the 10/22, but a LOT of fun to shoot.
    Probably as close as you can get to shooting an actual AR15 at a much cheaper per round price.
    25 round magazine, lots of after market parts to customize if you like and very well built.
    As with any gun I guess, what do you want to use it for will determine the route you take...
    Happy shopping

User

Remember, they are both self-loading. Make sure you have the right competency before you apply.

Not certain but you probably need to be a DSS to justify either of those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I went with the S&W 15-22.
    It is very fun to shoot and my 5 year old can familiarize himself with the AR-platform.
    Nothing wrong with the 10/22 - as GlockForce mentioned, really comes down to what you want to use it for.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GlockForce View Post
    I have the S&W 15-22.
    I don't think as accurate as the 10/22, but a LOT of fun to shoot.
    Probably as close as you can get to shooting an actual AR15 at a much cheaper per round price.
    25 round magazine, lots of after market parts to customize if you like and very well built.
    As with any gun I guess, what do you want to use it for will determine the route you take...
    Happy shopping
    I can consistently hit a small target at 200m with my S&W 15-22 with open sights. They are accurate.

I fiddled with a Ruger and it just didn't grab me, so i went with the Smith and its amazing. I can plink with it and shoot IPSC matches and the controls are exactly like a AR so it has that familiarity, but be warned. What ever .22 you decide to buy, know that they are very very hungry.

User

What do you want to do with it and with what competency? What does. 22 ammo cost? About R2 a shot. For what can you load 9mm? For about the same price. Get a PCC.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    What ever .22 you decide to buy, know that they are very very hungry.
    ^ This. It's also worth remembering that .22 ammo isn't as cheap anymore as it used to be.

Also thinking about getting a 22 as my next one. Was contemplating between the mp5 and ar platform.
    Somehow i just have a soft spot for the mp5 with no valid reason.

Advice?

User

Both of them seem to be epic little guns. It all comes down to what you want to use them for and if the cool factor is a thing or not. That being said, there are various variations in the 10/22 lineup itself. Target, takedown, takedown stainless etc etc. do you want something slightly more accurate or would the idea of a more low maontence gun that can fit in a backpack be more beneficial for you? The 10/22 is more of a rifle and the 15-22 a ‘baby’ AR. With both of them you will need to have a SLR competency and be a DSS. I personally like the 10/22 as I think it’s more practical, but the 15-22 is a definite winner on the ‘cool’ factor. Unless you get the stainless 10/22 takedown and suppress it��

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast