Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default SADF: Bayonet usage

Any documented or anecdotal refences of its use during the Border War?

User

Default Re: SADF: Bayonet usage

I may be under correction, but i don't think SAPS were issued bayonets.

I thought it was just the SADF when they had the R1 as the issue rifle. Bayonets were dropped when the R4 came out.

User

The R1 tube bayonet was standard issue with the R1 and was carried in the integral frog on the left hand ammo pouch on the patt70 webbing. AFAIK it was never used for anything other than weeding in the SAI training Units and opening cans etc.
    The one notable exception was 21Bn at Lenz. They put out a request for 1000 x R4 bayonets to use in riot control situations and the weekly AIDS funerals. A number of designs were submitted but the job was given to Bruce Wentzel at HireArms. This involved modding an R1 tube bayo to fit an R4. As far as I can recall 1000 standard R1 bayonets were supplied for conversion of which a number were U/S therefore less than the required number were produced. They are well known in collector circles as a number bled out of 21Bn (suprise, suprise).

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    The R1 tube bayonet was standard issue with the R1 and was carried in the integral frog on the left hand ammo pouch on the patt70 webbing. AFAIK it was never used for anything other than weeding in the SAI training Units and opening cans etc.
    The one notable exception was 21Bn at Lenz. They put out a request for 1000 x R4 bayonets to use in riot control situations and the weekly AIDS funerals. A number of designs were submitted but the job was given to Bruce Wentzel at HireArms. This involved modding an R1 tube bayo to fit an R4. As far as I can recall 1000 standard R1 bayonets were supplied for conversion of which a number were U/S therefore less than the required number were produced. They are well known in collector circles as a number bled out of 21Bn (suprise, suprise).
    Thanks Peter, that's really interesting. Do you know of any pictures of such an example by any chance?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    Did some of those include the chromed modified R1 bayonet to fit the R4's for parade purposes? I think it was the SP guard?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Sierra View Post
    Thanks Peter, that's really interesting. Do you know of any pictures of such an example by any chance?
    This is about the best i can find

https://warstore.co.za/product/sabwe...otype-bayonet/

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/2418...5_Bayonet.html

User

Most units have a few used for ceremonial purposes. Mostly used by the colour sergeants that accompany the colours when it is trooped/displayed. Some units also have chromed 10 round magazines for same purpose. Might not be the adapted bayonets, but looks very similar.

Banned

Any documented or anecdotal refences of its use during the Border War?
    Do you refer to parade usage, or in combat, or both?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Do you refer to parade usage, or in combat, or both?
    There's only one use for a bayonet.

User

Sorry. Had one years ago and have a copy of the 'blueprint' somewhere. The one at the War Store posted by Ady is the one. There were also prototypes that had sharpened and serrated blades to discourage the rioters from grabbing them. In need I can PM you Bruce's contact details.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast