Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default How long does a Kydex Holster last?

So I have been carrying for just over 2 years now in a Quantum carry Chameleon v2 and I have been carrying Everyday except for a week that was flying a bunch. I am very active climbing , bike riding etc, and though the gun sits fairly comfortable most of the time I can sometimes feel that there is pressure on the holster and I was wondering about the durability the other day when I felt the P07 not clipping in as securely as it used to.
    I inspected and then found a small crack in the holster just above where the mag release would be for a left handed shooter.
    I have got a new one , the V3, but now I am wondering if I will have to buy every 2 years?

What have you guys experienced?

User

Default Re: How long does a Kydex Holster last?

Holster are consider consumables. Like mags if you use it regularly you will need to replace it from time to time. 2 years is good amount of time from a holster. When it's cracked or loses retention then it's time to replace it

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

User

Fully agree with the 'consumable' observation. I think my homemade carry stuff lasts about three years or so on average.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BEX View Post
    So I have been carrying for just over 2 years now in a Quantum carry Chameleon v2 and I have been carrying Everyday except for a week that was flying a bunch. I am very active climbing , bike riding etc, and though the gun sits fairly comfortable most of the time I can sometimes feel that there is pressure on the holster and I was wondering about the durability the other day when I felt the P07 not clipping in as securely as it used to.
    I inspected and then found a small crack in the holster just above where the mag release would be for a left handed shooter.
    I have got a new one , the V3, but now I am wondering if I will have to buy every 2 years?

What have you guys experienced?
    If a crack forms you can sometimes drill a hole to stop it spreading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Radiusing any sharp corners will also help to make them less likely to crack in the first place.

Banned

I have some of Matthews gear and 2 yrs seems soon.

The hole idea is good. You can maybe add a fiberglass type patch to it as well.

You can also sometimes regain some retention with heat and a fresh clamp.

Also helps to replace your retention spacers where applicable.

I found them super durable, until I started doing some more involved training courses. Rolling around on the ground on an empty holster is quite hard on it.

User

My Army ant General model I use for my CZ75 has been going strong for about 7 years now. It fits my body perfectly now.

User

Ask Moomin on here. He seems to destroy at least one a year.

Holsters are pretty much consumable, as mentioned above. Also depends on the materials, as they will wear differently.

User

I believe I am a bit harder on my holster than average. The crack is not near a stress riser, but on a flat. Ill see what I can do about it, but using the new now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast