Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New S&W revolver with heavy scratching

Hi everyone. The bug has really bitten lately and I have purchased a new S&W revolver in .44mag. I bought this from a reputable store in JHB but had to buy remotely as I am in KZN. I requested pictures today and am a little concerned by the factory finish. I don't expect a mirror finish but this looks a little rough to me? It would probably be easy to fix with a buffer wheel on the bench grinder but really not enthused to have to do this on a brand new R20k revolver. Maybe I am being too much of a perfectionist? I would love to hear others opinions!

Attachment 34162Attachment 34163Attachment 34164

User

Default Re: New S&W revolver with heavy scratching

It certainly looks rough from the pics. Wonder if its not an artefact of the flash?

User

I'd expect the revolver frame to be shiny like the cylinder.

I wouldn't be happy about that.

User

I have a 2 wheelies in SS finish and that looks rough. More close up pics would help, definitely needs better lighting

Bought a 6" S&W in the beginning of the year
    Had it sent straight from the importer to the dealer
    In pictures it looks exactly like yours, in real life it was not as noticeable.
    Seemed like a protective coating for shipping that will come off first cleaning.
    You can see the buffer/applicator wheel marks easily on the barrel, just like mine

Still waiting ford card so I can go pick het up.

Not worried as all my older S&W's still look brand new after extensive use over decades

Right this is confirming my thoughts. I also agree that the frame finish should match the cylinder. I did also think a camera flash may have made it look worse than it was but apparently no flash was used. I asked for a few more pics in better lighting. I will pop them here.

Attachment 34166

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    I'd expect the revolver frame to be shiny like the cylinder.
    I you want that mirror look in a Smith one generally has to polish it yourself.
    But then it becomes a real fingerprint magnet

Quote Originally Posted by Webleyiv View Post
    I asked for a few more pics in better lighting. I will pop them here.

Maybe ask them to give it a wipe with some CLP, as even the brown wax paper S&W wrap the firearm in leaves a small residue at first.
    You can see the wax paper just in the pic with the storage box slightly showing

User

That looks a lot like the typical wire-brushed finish commonly applied to stainless guns. This is way more practical (and affordable) than a high-gloss polished finish.

I would not worry about it. It still looks pretty to my eyes...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webleyiv View Post
    Right this is confirming my thoughts. I also agree that the frame finish should match the cylinder. I did also think a camera flash may have made it look worse than it was but apparently no flash was used. I asked for a few more pics in better lighting. I will pop them here.

Attachment 34166
    You can always make friends with local knife maker and ask him to polish it up for you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast