Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Religion and guns

Ok let me rather contribute. I’m not a fan of YouTube influencers but Parker Fawbush caught my eye because of his renowned SD shooting ability. He is also a preacher of some sort or other, he brings religion into his delivery. So I bet he would be a mine of info re bible quotes that justify self defence.

Banned

Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8 (shortened)

1. To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 2. A time to be born, and a time to die; ... 3. A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; ... 5. A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; ... 8. A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Ps 147:1-2

1. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

2. My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Exodus 22:2-3:

2. If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. 3I. f the sun be risen upon him, there shall be blood shed for him; for he should make full restitution; if he have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft

Luke 22:36:

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it , and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Then there are passages like Luke 22:49-50:

49. When they which were about him saw what would follow, they said unto him, Lord, shall we smite with the sword?

50. And one of them smote the servant of the high priest, and cut off his right ear. 51. And Jesus answered and said, Suffer ye thus far. And he touched his ear, and healed him.

As a Christian in the calvinist tradition, I cannot simply look at the texts as they are written because they would contradict each other. One has to put the texts next to each other and make sense from them by looking at their background, intent, circumstances etc.

Combine the texts with some other Biblical principals and one starts getting an answer.

Other denominations may very well arrive at other answers for several reasons.

Some basic ideas:
    - mankind was made in the image of God with the purpose to rule over the earth according to His will

- due to the fall into sin man became selfish, which means that not all of mankind is good - we might have some nasty folks to deal with

- one still has the original purpose (to act according to God's will) which means one may/must stand up against evi; not fighting back is to back down before evil

- a firearm is still one of the most effective ways to ensure safety and security, and therefore we may use them to act our our purpose

- guns are not inherently evil; the responsibility still lies with us to use anything and everything in creation in a sensible and honourable way

- life is holy (belongs to God) and thus we must cherish and protect it

- one of my favourite ideas: one has to act in love, even if it means that one has to harshly point out (or react to) the mistake someone else is making

- do not fall for the "turn the other cheek"-theory; being a Christian does not mean that one has to allow evil to continue

Banned

This is pretty much everything to a person like me.

Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8 (shortened)

1. To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 2. A time to be born, and a time to die; ... 3. A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; ... 5. A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; ... 8. A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Banned

The weakest link breaks the chain, and one the same principle the wisdom man is not our problem but rather he who lacks respect.

In theory, mankind should live out of love - do unto others like you want to be dealt with.

In reality, we love out of selfishness and fear.

Therefore, in order to maintain discipline and fairness in society, we need to keep the fear and especially the selfishness in check - especially in the case of the unruly. Unfortunately, it usually requires the ability and willingness to make use of violence, simply because that is the only language a perpetrator understands.

User

Quote Originally Posted by mottobaaj View Post
    Narrated Uqbah ibn Amir:

I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) say: Allah, Most High, will cause three persons to enter Paradise for one arrow: the maker when he has a good motive in making it, the one who shoots it, and the one who hands it; so shoot and ride, but your shooting is dearer to me than your riding. Everything with which a man amuses himself is vain except three (things): a man's training of his horse, his playing with his wife, and his shooting with his bow and arrow. If anyone abandons archery after becoming an adept through distaste for it, it is a blessing he has abandoned; or he said: for which he has been ungrateful.

Sunan Abi Dawud 2513

'Uqbah bin' Amir (RAA) narrated, 'I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) recite when he was on the pulpit, “And make ready against them all you can of power, including steeds of war” (Quran 8:60), surely strength is in shooting; Surely strength is in shooting, surely strength is in shooting.'

Related by Muslim.

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) said: A man came to the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and said: O Messenger of Allah, what do you think if a man comes wanting to take my property? He said: “Do not give him your property.” He said: What if he fights me? He said: “Fight him.” He said: What if he kills me? He said: “Then you will be a martyr.” He said: What if I kill him? He said: “He will be in Hell.” Narrated by Muslim (140).

It was narrated that Sa’eed ibn Zayd (may Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “The one who is killed defending his wealth is a martyr, the one who is killed defending his family is a martyr, the one who is killed defending his religion is a martyr, and the one who is killed defending his life is a martyr.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (1421), al-Nasaa’i (4095), Abu Dawood (4772)
    ما شاء الله

User

Religion wise my late wife came from she cannot do anything to them to pray for them and tell them where they went wrong while they are on the ground bleeding out and waiting for a state ambo.
    What Ds J wrote in this thread applies.

User

For me as a Catholic, I will defend my family and myself as necessary and effectively as God provides me with the strength and courage to do so, until my last breadth.

User

For a Mandolorian, weapons are a part of the religion. This is the Way

Our Pastor said in one of his Sermons that a woman asked him one day why he carries a gun, does he not trust God to keep him safe. He answered that even David needed a sling and rocks to defeat Goliath. The only difference is that his sling holds 15 rocks

User

Quote Originally Posted by AndreVal View Post
    Our Pastor said in one of his Sermons that a woman asked him one day why he carries a gun, does he not trust God to keep him safe. He answered that even David needed a sling and rocks to defeat Goliath. The only difference is that his sling holds 15 rocks

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast