Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Carrying S16 for SD

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    It was an issue, SAPS wouldn’t have attempted to change the law on it with their latest round of proposed amendments.
    Assuming one actually believes these proposals were really about "self defence" vs a very useful mechanism to remove a huge chunk of the legal firearms pool in one easy go.

User

Yes you can use your Sec 16 FA for SD, no problem... You can use you S13 for sports no problem.. The fine line (and Grobbie mentioned this as well) is that you license your FA for a specific purpose. The act is clear on that. The Act also says it is an offense to give wrong motivations etc. Thus in my opinion if you have a S16 FA, but carry it whole day only for SD, and you then use it for SD, then you may, read may, be in trouble for lying on your application, not necessarily for the use of the S16 licensed FA for SD. Big difference in the two... This like Grobbie and I think Skaaphaas alludes too, is that it is a grey area and has not been tested in court yet. I have never heard that this is an issue in a court case / pending investigation. However if their is a clever PP, this fine line could be brought against you.

As us lawyers always say, the assumptions to above are, you were not on your way to the range, you do not have in depth knowledge of the act (which I would say is not the case as everyone does the test..) etc., your circumstances changed on your FA (bought a p07 for Sport, since replaced it with a Shadow) and you intend to still relicense etc

I always included a line in my S16 motivations saying I intend to carry it on a day-to-day basis.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

I applied for Section 13 (Glock48) and they issued a section 16 license, my DFO said "whatever, carry it and we can try change the section with renewal in a decade"

Bonus is I now still have an open section 13 slot...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    I applied for Section 13 (Glock48) and they issued a section 16 license, my DFO said "whatever, carry it and we can try change the section with renewal in a decade"

Bonus is I now still have an open section 13 slot...
    Why even use a S13 if you are deicated.

I do not own any firearm other then S16.

For my 9mmP I stated to be used fir Sport and Self Defence.
    They approved as S16.

So I at least have on record telling the SAPS of my purpose should there ever be an issue. Which there wont.

As not 1 person has been charged since this law came out regarding using S16 for self defense.

User

Very interesting topic this! Can it be possible that there has not been one case of a person using their Sec 16 for SD maybe late at night when ranges are closed?

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    BradTH, I strongly disagree.

The law makes it explicitly clear that I can use my S15, S16 or S17 gun "where it is safe to use the firearm and for a lawful purpose"

I have carried my S17, S16 and S15 handgun for SD purpose on occasion.

Just like I have attended a SADPA match with my S17 pistol.
    And have also legally used my S13 firearm for sport purpose...
    The FCA actually makes provision for it.
    Thats how i understand the law and was confirmed by someone at SAPS

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

User

There have been many uses of a S15 or S16 licenced gun for SD. Including a hunting rifle at close range.

User

Wow that must have hurt!

User

Quote Originally Posted by lloydb View Post
    Very interesting topic this! Can it be possible that there has not been one case of a person using their Sec 16 for SD maybe late at night when ranges are closed?
    There have been many such cases recorded, but they were all non-events as there is absolutely ZERO significance to the fact.

A few years ago a taxidermist from Randfontein sorted out a gang of armed robbers at his house with his 375H&H hunting rifle. That was all he could get to and it worked pretty well. From the picture I have seen it would seem that it did not really hurt for too long...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast