Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Is a .308 150 gr bullet enough ? ?

Is 150 gr Interlock bullet at .308 velocities enough bullet for big Water Buck ?
    Perhaps a Nosler Accubond ?

Would a 150 gr Peregrine bullet be considered a safe bet ?

I am setting a youngster up, first rifle, first lots of things. He also has his own idea's about bullets and range and shot placement etc
    I have always been a believer that a 165/8 gr bullet in a .308 kills anything, and that a 150 gr bullet is to light, to low in BC and SD (yes I know) and to fast to facilitate the benefits of the .308 with cup and core bullets.

Opinions please, keeping in mind that the lighty is still going to put shots that are not of optimum placement occasionally.

Banned

Default Re: Is a .308 150 gr bullet enough ? ?

A friend of mine hunts everything up to eland with 150gr CoreLockt.

Waterbuck is in my experience no too hard. A bullet in the vitals should put it down.

The flatter trajectory will help.

It’s good Sambar medicine, which I think is tougher than Waterbuck, so I think he’ll be okay.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    It’s good Sambar medicine, which I think is tougher than Waterbuck, so I think he’ll be okay.
    Sambar, oh how I remember that, in that beautiful country.

User

Both my friend and his dad have been shooting 150gr PMP in their 308's all their lives. Can't count the amount of animals shot with it.
    I shot everything with 150gr PMP's for 15 years.
    I had 2 bullet failures. One was with a client on a Sable (when the price was ridiculous), so I changed over to Swift Scirocco. I just didn't want to be blamed for using shitty ammo if the client lost an animal.
    With premium ammo, I would even use on Eland, and have used it on Eland
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

If he don't shoot quartering on right on the big shoulder bone it is fine. I would (as a lot of people, I bet including yourself) prefer bonded. But cup and core will be fine. My sister hunts with .308 and 150 gr Interbond and/or PMP and have downed huge Blue WB without any problems on numerous times.

User

When your shot placement is spot on that combo works well . I have shot up to BWB with the standard flat base 150gr interlock. I have yet to recover a bullet. Out of a 308. However,I chose those shots carefully and tried avoiding big bone. As capable as it is, I'm going to use 150gr Monos going forward, for the simple reason that shots do sometimes go wrong and heavy bone will be encountered , and on the last hunt follow up shots has to be taken on an injured animal.

User

I've only ever used 150gr Interbonds on game. So I'll be the (slightly) dissenting voice: If you HAVE the option of using a mono, just use the mono. on large animals (SWBees & Gemsbok) I've never had full broadside penetration. In no case was an animal lost and in general we found them right where they were shot (I prefer the let the bullets do their work, so I've shot two big SWB bulls right on the shoulder bone, which tends to drop them where they are, on account of not being able to stand... bullets were recovered in the potjie of the far shoulder).

In all these cases the bullet did what it was designated to do, under rather harsh conditions. but I do think it's at the edge of what I'm comfy with, so next time the bigger things are on the menu, I'll be after them with 150gr Peregrines, in preference to the Interbonds. I won't feel undergunned with the Interbonds, and they're really accurate, but I don't think I'll be as comfortable with cup&core bullets.

User

I use 150 gr Sierra Gameking for everything up to Gemsbok and Eland, I make sure of shot placement and on the big animals I spend the time to get under 300m and get a good line so I miss the big shoulder bones on its way in to the heart.

Ive been shooting on Range 155gr on target and 150grain Sako Super Hammerhead for Hunting now for 20 or just over 20 years.

Ive shot SprinBuck, Fellow Deer, BlesBuck. Gems Buck and Kudu with 150gr Hmmerheads.

The last Kudu I shot in Merweville was +-320 metres. Hit him on Ribcage. Punctured both Lungs and heart and exited other side.

So shot placement and I think you will be OK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast